Worrying news from the States.....

Mr Mistoffelees 08:48 12 Feb 2006

American telcos want to create a two-tier internet.

click here

Forum Editor 08:53 12 Feb 2006

I intend to lose a millisecond's sleep over. Commonsense will, one hopes, win out in the end.

octal 09:28 12 Feb 2006

Greed, just plain greed.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:43 12 Feb 2006

That is what concerns me, that greed, rather than common sense, will win out in the end. Hopefully though, FE will be right.

spuds 11:47 12 Feb 2006

We will need to wait, and see what happens in twelve months time. Like most things nowadays, someone somewhere is devising new ideas of making more and more money, out of a more popular product.

Forum Editor 13:24 12 Feb 2006

Nothing wrong with that, as long as commercial interests don't end up being the prime movers. The internet is a global resource, and one which has - in a relatively short time - transformed the way that a large part of our planet works. Modern societies could no longer function as efficiently without the internet, and that must be the overriding consideration when anyone starts messing under the bonnet. Nobody 'owns' the internet, but we all do - it's unique in that respect. Let us not forget that.

€dstowe 13:39 12 Feb 2006

Yet another example of American business believing that they own the world and everything in and on it.

They would do well to remember that the Internet was the brainchild of an Englishman, Tim Berners Lee.

Without trying to get too political, far from the USA being pivotal in modern society, the more they alienate the peoples outside of its own shores - exemplified almost daily - the less influence they will have.

Forum Editor 13:44 12 Feb 2006

let's have no anti-american (or anti any other country) comments. It's a natural thing to want to believe that we invented everything, but of course that's far from being true. I think it's best that we don't concern ourselves with who 'invented' the internet (it certainly wasn't any one person) but with its future - that's what this thread is about.

spikeychris 13:56 12 Feb 2006

The Internet was not the brainchild to TBL - the World Wide Web however was.

€dstowe 13:58 12 Feb 2006

Note my use of "brainchild". This was carefully chosen to avoid the notion that Berners Lee "invented" the Internet. It was, as you infer, a collaboration of numerous bodies that brought the system into what we know today.

dmc727 14:01 12 Feb 2006

I find the internet too good to be true!!

Remember in the fifties going to the local library to research something from a book which was probably ten years out of date. How times change. Access to the internet provides a living library where you can get up to date information. And do online actions from the comfort of wherever to communicate, bank, shop, etc. The trick is sorting the wheat from the chaff.

The Open Source movement and people power seems here to stay in some form to balance big business. As for the physical side of the internet there must be someone who can pull the plug but, in a free world, for what reason I can’t think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?