Worry about playing with kids!

charmingman 09:27 26 Jun 2008

I can fully understand this as ive been in this situation before, i wanted to join some kids to play football baring in mind i am in my mid 30's & they looked at me as if to say "ERR go away freak" scrunching one side of there face's up,

i also went to a local park near us & they was loadsa ducks so i sat & fed them some food then some young kids aged around 10/11 came and stood in front of myself & the lake

& was watching me feed them, i asked them if they wanted the rest of the food i had so they could feed the birds & they was horrified & walked away looking back at me & talking to themselves..???? making me paranoid!!

click here

bstb3 09:50 26 Jun 2008

Sadly this is a conseqeunce of general paranoia abundent the society we live in now. Kids are taught about 'stranger danger'at such a young age, bombarded with media stories about paedophiles, kidnappers and knife toting hoodies that its no wonder that they treat adults with extreme caution.

Then of course adults are worried to be involved with children for fear of being accused / misunderstood and the gap between kids and adults, and the gap and understanding between the two gets wider and wider..

Bingalau 10:10 26 Jun 2008

Yes I remember when I used to walk to school that there was an old man who used to sit on his front wall when the weather was suitable. All of us kids used to stop and have a natter with him. He was probably lonely and I think he enjoyed having someone to talk to. Now a days as an old man myself I love kids but am extremely wary of talking to them. It was great when I was running a shop because they came in for their sweets etc. and I got to know a good lot of them. Met one of them in town a couple of weeks ago and she proudly told me she is now a granny. God I must be getting old.

GRIDD 10:18 26 Jun 2008

Yes - it's constantly in my head that too close an interaction and I may be accused of all sorts...

I would not talk to or interact with a child at a park or whatever unless the parents are present and/or I have my own children with me, as I may be perceived as a threat. I would also ask permission of the parents before giving an unknown child anything.

spuds 10:33 26 Jun 2008

I was in the vet's yesterday morning, sitting near to an elderly lady with her elderly dog. A young child of about 4 years of age came into the waiting room and went straight to the ladies dog and began making a fuss of it, then for no apparent reason began to hit and grab the dog fairly hard. This caused concern to the lady and others in the waiting room, but the parent of the child seem to have taken the incident as one of a daily experience, with a shrugged shoulder attitude.

I wonder what would have happened if the dog had decided to protect itself, or the elderly lady or others in the waiting room had intervened, before the child had got bored and then decided to climb on anything accessable!.

Colin 10:35 26 Jun 2008

When I was in junior school in Liverpool in the early 70's we all knew the Lollipop man very well, (God knows what they’re called now - Traffic Control Technicians?). He knew our names and we knew his. But it was always Mister so and so, not Bill, Albert or whatever. Kids calling adults by the first names – that’s another topic altogether. On the way home from school he sometimes gave us a mint Imperial from his bag of sweets. How would that be construed now?

GRIDD 10:52 26 Jun 2008

It happened at our school (I mean the one the kids go to now).

I noticed that he only played with certain kids whose parents had talked to him. He asked was it ok for him to give the kids a sweet and of course I Ok'd it.

The kids would run to him in the mornings & afternoons shouting "Billy, Billy, Billy" and he would enthusiastically say hello, ask about their day and give them a sweet.

He since retired and a huge collection was made for his present... currently the new guy is quite sour but ironically is called Billy.

spuds 10:56 26 Jun 2008

Our local council (or at least the officer in charge) reprimanded a very long term and established lollipop lady for handing out sweets to children, and being to friendly. Apparently all to do with health and safety. Caused a right stink that episode, but the council officer wouldn't back down. That incident upset the lady so much, she resigned, and the crossing is now unmanned, and as been for a few months.Then the council are very concerned about vacancies for crossing patrols, and why they cannot recruit people.

Jim Thing 19:59 26 Jun 2008

I run a website where ex-pupils of my old school can post class photographs and other memorabilia; most of my regular visitors are around my own age, i.e. late 70s/early 80s.

Some years ago I had e-mailed my postal address to one of my website's 'regulars' so that she could send me some photographs to scan and publish. In response she wrote to tell me that, as a young girl in the early 1930s, she had spent happy holidays staying with an aunt and uncle in the seaside town where I now live, and she wondered if their house was still standing. So one afternoon I took my camera, found the house, and proceeded to take some pictures to send to her.

Unfortunately for me, a lane at the side of the house leads to the local primary school and I had innocently arrived to take my pictures as the children were leaving at the end of their day. In no time flat I was confronted by a furious mum demanding to know what the hell I was doing and threatening in a loud voice to call the police. Within seconds she had gathered a dozen or so sympathisers, and it was only the fact that I happened to know the lollipop man that saved me from a potential lynch mob by vouching for my good character.

I'm now very careful to ensure that I don't photograph any scene that has anyone else's children in it.

peter99co 21:33 26 Jun 2008

I have found that I avoid taking photographs anywhere that children are located for the very reason you have stated. It is not worth the effort to take photographs and find yourself being watched by mothers thinking you are up to no good. Keep well clear.

rickf 22:21 26 Jun 2008

This is labour gone mad yet again. I refer to Beverley Hughes comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone