The Worlds fastest computer is a PS3!

LastChip 12:49 20 Jun 2008

It's official: the Worlds fastest computer is based on Play Station 3 microprocessors.

Capable of 1.026 petaflops, or one thousand trillion, calculations per second, it dwarfs previous records.

There's not a sign of either Intel or Microsoft on this one. PS3's cell chips coupled to AMD's Opteron's and running RedHat Linux.

click here

click here

Cymro. 12:58 20 Jun 2008

So how much faster is that then in terms we can all understand.
I know that it is a different market but say if you compare the time it would take to do some word processing or to download something from the net.

LastChip 13:28 20 Jun 2008

I guess,the speed for a mundane operation would be determined not by the computer, but by the speed at which the application could process the data.

The computer itself, wouldn't even notice a download and certainly, as now, the download speed will be largely determined by the speed at which the server can deliver the data.

As for word processing, I would suspect it would be instantaneous, but it pretty much is that now with home computers. So to all intents and purposes, you would see very little difference.

Where this machine towers above the rest, is to process huge amounts of data very quickly.

Cymro. 13:52 20 Jun 2008

"So to all intents and purposes, you would see very little difference".

So nothing to get exited about then, still I suppose it is another step on that road to the ultimate computer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:17 20 Jun 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?