The World Could Soon Become ...

babybell 16:56 12 Jul 2010

...a much more relaxed place.

click here

German Scientists have created a 'herbal' equivalent to Valium.

All joking aside though, this could pose one or two problems in the future.

Benzodiazepines such as valium are highly addictive and dangerous if useage is not properly monitored, so of course, any herbal equivalent SHOULD only be a good thing.

But with this new drug being taken straight from a simple plant, does this mean the Jasmine plant would have to become a pre-scription only plant?

This could easily become the new 'legal high' in a few years.

Quickbeam 17:07 12 Jul 2010

I've been enjoying the fragrant night scent of jasmine these last few balmy nights, would they rather I did a line or two of another substance...?

Forum Editor 17:36 12 Jul 2010

a 'legal high'?

Having tried most of the available stimulants in my teenage years I came to realise that the best 'high' can actually be had without chemical assistance. There are a million ways to get satisfaction without the risk - you just have to get into the right mindset.

I'm not going to wax lyrical about ways to do it, for fear of being labelled in some way or another, but rest assured, it's not that difficult to achieve.

babybell 17:43 12 Jul 2010

is currently a big problem in Scotland I believe, with some of the younger generation taking them with lots of alcohol, just to get high on.

My concerns are now though that this will make it even easier, unless this herbal product is correctly regulated. But how can you stop some smarty pants from creating it himself and selling it on to kids.

Will a Jasmine follow the marijauna plant for example and become illegal after this discovery?

wiz-king 19:23 12 Jul 2010

Seem to be some confusion here - VERTACETAL® COEUR is a registered chemical that has been used in perfumery for many years, also known a Floropal

IUPAC Name: 2,4,6-trimethyl-4-phenyl-1,3-dioxane | CAS Registry Number: 5182-36-5
Synonyms: BB_SC-2017, EINECS 225-963-6, CID107381, ZINC03882638, 2,4,6-Trimethyl-4-phenyl-1,3-dioxane, 1,3-Dioxane, 2,4,6-trimethyl-4-phenyl-, 5182-36-5

Molecular Formula: C13H18O2 Molecular Weight: 206.280820 [g/mol]
H-Bond Donor: 0 H-Bond Acceptor: 2

InChIKey: IEZPIUQRQRWIFE-UHFFFAOYSA-N

babybell 19:27 12 Jul 2010

Your right....I'm confused

Quickbeam 19:38 12 Jul 2010

Thank god for that, I thought my civilised malt on the rose and jasmine scented patio was under threat:)

I do hope that the roses aren't going to be a problem now...

canarieslover 19:45 12 Jul 2010

Now what was in that article about Rose Hip Syrup????

babybell 20:08 12 Jul 2010

It needs to be sexed up, I just tried to read that paper and my head nearly exploded.

BUT, I think from reading the conclusion that what they have discovered is that this chemical does do what they say it does, which was previously unknown.

It just so happens that that chemical is in the Jasmine flower and so they've put it in terms that I can understand.

wiz-king 19:45 14 Jul 2010

I reconised the name as I have used it in many floral perfumes in the last 25 years but the use is novel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone