Working Time Directive...

GRIDD 01:44 21 Oct 2008

There's plenty of overtime at work if I want it but it's illegal, apparently, to work a 7 day week.

Is it?

If it is I cannot understand why such a rule is implemented... care to explain anyone?

rdave13 04:45 21 Oct 2008

You can work any amount of overtime so long as you sign an agreement to do so. Earlier this year on 70 hour week for eight weeks.

click here

laurie53 07:41 21 Oct 2008

The rule is implemented (and is only needed in the UK which works longer hours than anywhere else in Europe) because many employers exert undue pressure to get people to sign such an agreement as rdave 13 refers to.

The UK already has has some exemptions from the Working Time Directive (and is the only country that seems to find them necessary), and every time there are attempts to bring our working hours down to a lower level they are blocked by big business, aided and abetted by those who are looking for directorships to supplement their meagre parliamentary pensions when they retire.

Quickbeam 08:47 21 Oct 2008

Security is one area where the working time directive is a meaningless phrase.

People working in security have told me if they don't sign the opt out at the time of filling out the job application form, you don't even get to the interview...

GRIDD 09:17 21 Oct 2008

I work in retail and keep getting told that regardless of hours, seven days is illegal. They won't allow me to work more than 45hrs in a week as anymore and it's double time.

I'm doing, or rather was doing, 45hrs / 7 days which is hardly back breaking, slogging your guts out type hours. That said the HR folk are adamant I can't do it but she said something I found funny.... the only way round it is to get a part time job elsewhere.

canarieslover 09:29 21 Oct 2008

Not all is well with the W.T.D. in the rest of Europe.click here

canarieslover 09:36 21 Oct 2008

Seven day working is not illegal but your company may want to keep their costs down so double-time payments are not encouraged. perhaps that is why HR are suggesting that you should look for additional work elsewhere. They are not alone in this as many companies, especially in retail, prefer to employ many part-time workers rather than a few doing maximum hours.

interzone55 09:49 21 Oct 2008

The maximum your employer can ask you work if you don't opt out of the WTD is 48 hours across a 7 day period.

If you sign the exemption you can work as many hours as you like.

This also includes Sunday working in retail, you cannot be forced to work a Sunday unless you opt out.

On the other hand, you do not have to opt out of the directive if you want to work the extra hours, although your employer may insist that you opt out to get the hours.

Simsy 10:59 21 Oct 2008

spoken of, are meant to protect the employee from being overworked. They do not necessarily stop the employee from working extra hours, subject to the employee wanting to do so, and the employer having suitable checks and systems in place to prevent ill health being the result of overwork

It it not forbidden to work 7 consecutive days, but the employee cannot be FORCED to do so.

An employee may INSIST on a break of at least 11 hours between turns of duty.

The maximum number of hours an employee may be forced to work is 48 hours per 7 days, AVERAGED OVER A 17 WEEK PERIOD.

There are other regs relating to meal breaks and length of a turn of work but I'm not sure enough of the details to relate them here. There are also companies and industries that have exclusions and/or tighter regs, eg the services and drivers.

Regards,

Simsy

laurie53 11:57 21 Oct 2008

It's all very well saying things like "employees can't be FORCED" and "an employee may INSIST" but the practicalities of the real world are different, as I know from having been asked for assistance on many occasions.

spuds 12:43 21 Oct 2008

Employment law can be both a good and bad thing, depending on how its translated.

People in the transport industry have always been subject to certain time and work limit restrictions, but some other industries and occupations have had very few limits 'forced' on them.

I know in a previous occupation, I could work extra hours or days, providing I took time off 'in lieu' (no pun intended).

The same also applied to working 'ghosters'. You commenced on a project at say 4pm on a Friday evening, and worked through till say 11am on a Monday. I suppose its similar to certain shift work patterns, like working back-to-back!.

Didn't some of this legislation come about, through unemployment and job sharing procedures?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?