work experience at top City banks

john 52 10:20 13 Feb 2011

The adage its not what you know its who you know that is important seems to be still true today.

But at least its going to a good cause Tory party funds ?

click here

john 52 10:52 13 Feb 2011

I do agree with you fourum member that it is the way of the world but it does not matter which party has done this it is still wrong ! I would be still posting the same thread if it was a opposition party especially at a time when many young people are struggling to find employment after university or struggling with university fees.

I think the most important point in this is the lack of judgement shown by David Cameron and not for the first time

robgf 11:00 13 Feb 2011

It's hardly surprising, the rich and powerful have always given their kids an unfair advantage.

Many moons ago, when I did the eleven plus, my class had five children from local factory owners families. All five passed and went to grammar school, despite several of them being as thick as a brick.
There was a bit of an outcry from a few of the brighter kids parents, but they had no influence, so nothing happened.

Mind you, I always feel a bit sorry for the kids of rich parents. The chances of them maintaining the lifestyle they grew up in, is very small, without a lot of help from mum and dad. And if you are given a blatant leg up, wouldn't you always feel a failure.

spuds 11:06 13 Feb 2011

Perhaps nothing to do with this 'City Bank work experience', but the other evening there was a television investigation programme regarding people working for free, with some of the larger or better known establishments in London.

The 'employees' had to provide all their own costs, but in the report it was stated that this was usually met by wealthy parents or family, with the occasional exceptions of a part-time evening job. £16.00 per night hostels seemed to be the preference to those less well off, seeking fame and fortune, plus a possible foot in the the door.

And who says that there is a minimum wage structure, that the laws of this land demands?.

robgf 11:31 13 Feb 2011

I watched that program as well. And was surprised that it was legal not to pay the minimum wage. I thought the only exceptions were volunteers for charities.
Hope my boss didn't watch, he will be reemploying all the poles as interns.

john 52 12:28 13 Feb 2011

fourm member

But that is the point does "practice what you preach" ring any bells ?

It is more than a "tedious rants against the PM" it is the message it sends out to the country and as such is shows a lack of judgement .
It may surprise you but I did not agree with everything the Labour party did while in office but trying to switch this thread away from the issue is not needed unless you do not wish the topic to be discussed in a proper manner

Forum Editor 13:52 13 Feb 2011

it is still wrong !"

Why is it wrong?

john 52 16:04 13 Feb 2011

fourm member

But that is the whole point! this was to raise funds for the Conservative party ! the party who keeps reminding us at every opportunity that "we are all in this together .
Is this what is meant by David Cameron Big Society? everyone for themselves

Forum Editor 16:39 13 Feb 2011

"there is privilege reserved for only those who can afford to pay - not on any kind of personal merit or learning."

So, those people who can afford to go to a private island in the Caribbean for their holiday are doing something wrong are they, because that's something reserved only for them?

The people who can afford a holiday home in the South of France - they're wrong, too?

And what about the parents who send their children to private schools - they're wrong as well if we go by your standards.

Perhaps it's time that you entered the real world, instead of the idealistic (and unrealistic) one you appear to inhabit. Wealthy people have been paying for privileges for a couple of thousand years or more, and they'll be doing it a couple of thousand years from now. You would do it, too, if you were wealthy.

Forum Editor 16:53 13 Feb 2011

this was to raise funds for the Conservative party!"

You say it - complete with exclamation marks - as if there's something dreadful about a political party raising funds, but of course there isn't; all parties have to do it, and they do it in the best way they can.

john 52 18:00 13 Feb 2011

It is perfectly normal and understandable for any parent or grandparent to give there child the best start in life they can even using there money or connections to do this .
The point which both the FE and fourum member is missing who at conservative central office dreamed up this idea you would have thought alarm bells may have gone off in the prime ministers mind but maybe Andy Coulson is being missed already.
If they wanted to raise funds why not give these to a homeless charity ( the publicity alone would have made it worthwhile)and I am sure in a roundabout unofficial way the same conclusion could have been attained for the work experience candidate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?