'Work for dole' proposals leaked'

peter99co 20:01 18 Jul 2008

Shadow work and pensions secretary Chris Grayling welcomed the document, but said it was the Conservatives who had put forward most of the ideas.

click here

oresome 20:15 18 Jul 2008

Aren't the majority of the unemployed on incapacity benefit?

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:24 18 Jul 2008

I don;t know if its the majority, but I believe its the benefit with the largest number of claimants.

Incapacity Benefit will one day cease to exist and its successor is designed to ensure fewer people are on "sickness benefit"

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:25 18 Jul 2008

(Employment Support Allowance) comes out in November and Incapacity Benefit and Income Support disappear a lot of people on Incap will be shunted onto JSA and will have to start demonstrating they are looking for work or face reduced payments. First targets will be people signed off with Depression and anxiety.

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:32 18 Jul 2008

Not really, those in IB and IS (for sickness reasons) will continue to receive those benefits and certain claimants with linked claims will have a "transitional protection" to reclaim those benefits - there will be no "shunting" at all.

It is anticipated that those on IB/IS will be migrated to ESA "when resources allow" which will be a long way off, if ever

Brumas 20:34 18 Jul 2008

"First targets will be people signed off with Depression and anxiety"
I agree and the last thing these people need is the stress and upheaval of 'going through it all again' just to maintain their status quo.

rdave13 20:36 18 Jul 2008

Isn't this 'work for dole' a very old idea?

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:48 18 Jul 2008

If your last statement is true than it will only be due to the incompetence and inertia of JCP.

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:58 18 Jul 2008

Not sure I agree, Arthur Scrimshaw.

You have to remember that Parliament is determined to slash the number of civil servants, which I am not saying is a bad thing.

But they are justifying this action by saying improved IT will mean the civil service can run efficiently with fewer staff.

I don't think anybody needs reminding of the government IT related horror stories we've heard.

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:16 18 Jul 2008

this is by contracting a most of the front end work to private agencies through 'Pathways to Work' Before this it was the same with 'Workstep' and 'NDDP' - they obviously feel that DWP is not capable of delivering this type of programme. Certainly they are seeking to reduce costs, and the contract values of 'Pathways'(far less generous than the previous ones) show this, but unless they can cut DWP costs it will be for nothing. I could tell you some horror stories regarding DWP staff (made 'Surplus' on full pay?)but I'm sure you probably already know some.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:30 18 Jul 2008

Why wouldn't they be on full pay?

Anyway, the secratary of state as said that any part of JCP is up for grabs to the private sector, it won't stop at pathways. The result will, indeed, be fewer staff (it's nothing to do with the capability of the organisation, just cutting staff) but I imagine the affect on public services could be catastrophic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017