word count; suggestion for postings

p;3 11:49 29 Nov 2005

I note that the threads have a character count above the reply box; I have recently been completing a form on line and it has the facility to count-down the remaining character linit so one knows when one has reached the end of allowed space; just wondered if that facility is possible to incorporate on here?

Totally-braindead 13:04 29 Nov 2005

Its an idea I suppose but I would think there would be very few times that a single posting would come anywhere near the 4500 character limit.

pj123 13:48 29 Nov 2005

But if it does exceed/come close to the limit you could always post "part 2" as in all those "log" thingies we get.

Chegs ®™ 14:13 29 Nov 2005

There was a posting from adie1972(I think)that was alerting us to a change in the word count to a character count,and if you over did it there's a java popup telling you so.I have rarely managed to exceed the word count,even though I am by nature a very long-winded poster(on occasion)and the post from adie vanished shortly after I had responded to it.The post was in Speakers Corner. ;-)

navvyman 16:44 29 Nov 2005

..........particularly as I have spent ages getting sensible postings within the (in my view) miserly 450 character limit!

New specs for Christmas.

Chegs ®™ 17:01 29 Nov 2005

Please note - there is a 4500 character limit for messages.

Forum Editor 18:06 29 Nov 2005

to add any more gizmos to the site for now, and in any case, I don't think it's necessary to have a character counter.

Chegs ®™ 19:12 29 Nov 2005

Does that mean the java popup that was posted by Adie doesn't exist?

I usually draft any long posts in Word prior to posting,then I can spellcheck,word count,etc as I once used IE to draft a very long response only to get an error posting requiring my retyping the whole lot afresh.

Forum Editor 20:14 29 Nov 2005

Who said it didn't exist? Read what I say, not what you think I said.

p;3 referred to a character count-down.

p;3 22:23 29 Nov 2005

thanks for the replies (none of which I got a notification about either); I found the form I recently completed on line very useful with its character count-down, so I knew when I was reaching my limit on posting or how much more I could add to each section without running out of space;

Chegs ®™ 22:25 29 Nov 2005

I was only asking for clarification as the java popup could be construed as a character counter(albeit a very basic one) and your post could also be construed to mean there is no such facility which contradicts the missing post from Adie. ;-)

I'm certainly not going to type a very long (4500 character plus)post to find out if there is/isn't a popup. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?