Woolworths - The End!

The Brigadier 12:01 29 Dec 2008

Woolworths now selling fixtures & fittings.
In fact they will sell you anything in the shop!
Signs, posters & even the tills!!

Local Wollie’s looks more like shops in Russia used to look!
Bare shelves & up to 70% off.

But it seems others may go the same way in the next few months as the credit crunch bites after the January sales & people get their credit card statements in & have to pay off the money spent on them!

Marko797 12:08 29 Dec 2008

there's only one fool worse than an old fool, and that's the fool who funds christmas via his/her visa card every year and, especially now, struggles to pay it off.

Condom 13:16 29 Dec 2008

I wandered through my local Woollies on Saturday out of nostalgia more than anything else and most of the stuff on sale was absolute rubbish.

Anything of reasonable quality, ie Books and DVD's were still showing prices higher than the local HMV or Waterstones shops.

perpetual motion 13:48 29 Dec 2008

Condom"

I too noticed the prices was high, aint that just the Administrators.? & the reason the company has now gone under cause they got greedy & wanted too much money for the company?

Pineman100 14:15 29 Dec 2008

I had one of my little rants at the TV, the other night. BBC news showed a series of 'vox pop' sound bytes outside a branch of Woolies. Everyone was bemoaning the loss of the store, and its 'traditional' place on the high street.

But if Woolies was so important to us, wouldn't we all have shopped there BEFORE the closing down sale?!

If we had, the chain would still be solvent.

The market doesn't understand nostalgia or emotion. It operates purely on the principle of 'use it or lost it'.

john bunyan 14:22 29 Dec 2008

Places like Wilkinsons and Poundland, and the supermakets have substituted for Woolies - there is only one market, and if some stores get bigger, others have to compete or die, unfortunately.(As Pineman100 said also)

The Brigadier 16:18 29 Dec 2008

Wilkinsons and Poundland spring up now in most towns.
Coupled with the rise in Aldi & Lidl who are both trying to get a grip in the uk supermarket battle, but who will be next to go bust, for sure some will not survive after the sales finish in the New Year!

anchor 16:24 29 Dec 2008

Many of us will recall the Woolworth of old, where one could buy a wide range of useful items. How it changed over the years.

It became like so many other shops, concentrating on the likes of CD`s, DVD`s, video games and confectionery, which I assume were high profit, fast moving items; (and they thought would remain so). It appears they were wrong.

That`s why I hardly ever shopped there. I won`t miss them.

johndrew 16:33 29 Dec 2008

`.. who will be next to go bust ..`

It is always a bit sad to see the demise of a well known name - I suppose none of likes change and there is always the uncertainty of who/what will replace it.

As you say there are many new names coming through that may well be as good (or better) than those departing the scene. Provided there is competition prices and service will still be around and perhaps the old(?) problems of quality will become a thing of the past. Problem is that in the commercial world all small businesses want to expand to their maximum size and the difficulty of the inverse relationships of service/price/quality and size come into play.

Still if the predictions made by experts, that more big names are yet to fall, are realised perhaps we shall see a lot of smaller entrants with whom we can become accustomed - or disillusioned!!!

Forum Editor 17:29 29 Dec 2008

commercial failures in the past, and at the time they were the talk of the town. Life moves on, and in a few years time Woolworths will be a distant memory.

Other businesses may fail, but this time next year we'll still be here, talking about the issues of the day. A sense of perspective is a useful thing, and in the end the real tragedy is for the people who lose their jobs - they're the ones I feel sorry for.

Chegs ®™ 21:22 29 Dec 2008

There was a piece in our local paper about people entering woolworths and being rude to the staff as items werent "cheap enough" These same customers are often collared outside woolies stores and then state they feel sorry for the staff who are going to lose their jobs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie