The wonders of nature

spuds 13:09 22 Oct 2008

or its it just the beginning climate change!.

We have a number of bird boxes around our property, and in the appropriate seasons, these boxes are occupied and serve their due purpose. Blue tits are one of the main occupants, and after they have left we did the necessary cleaning for next years brood. But on Saturday and since, there appears to be a lot of Blue Tit comings and goings activity. Something that as not taken place previously at this time of year.

Around my location the weather seems to change on a daily bass,from rather chilly, especially in the evenings and early mornings to T-shirt warm in the on some days.

Have you noticed a change with your wildlife and nature on the whole in your area?.

donki 13:40 22 Oct 2008

Yup was chinking that myself today, here it has been wet and mild for a week or so but today it is clear but absolutley BALTIC!!!! Also see my first Robin Red Breast last week and since then I have seen at least 3 more in my gardign at home.

There was picture's in the Sun today of the north pole which showed the mass of ice had decreased. One picture in 2001 and one in 2007, the 2007 picture showed about half the ice mass of 2001. Now I know the ice increases and decreases sesonally and there is no indication of at what seasons the pictures were taken, but assuming they were both taken durning the same season it is very worrying. Not just for the wild life at threat but also for the planet as a whole.

Condom 15:27 22 Oct 2008

We have Robins all year round in our garden, sometimes two or three at a time, which we presume to be "family" as they are very territorial and fight strangers. What we have noticed is how early the frogs are now coming to our garden pond. Last year they were about 1 month earlier than usual. I think we have about 1 dozen resident frogs (always hard to count precisely) but in "spring" we have over 1000 doing what frogs do for a few days in spring and then they all disappear again leaving behind our small resident population and masses of spawn. Where they all come from and where they all go again is anyone's guess but it is an amazing and very noisy sight. Even today I noticed new shoots and flowers on the water lillies which have normally died off and sunk below the water by now. Something is definately changing but I'm enjoying it so maybe it is not all bad news.

Pineman100 18:32 22 Oct 2008

We live in the country, and I'm sure there are now more green woodpeckers around than I remember in the past.

They used to be a rare and special sight, but nowadays when I walk the dog I reckon I see (and hear) one or more every day.

Of course, species have always had good years and bad years, so this may be nothing more than a natural cycle.

Forum Editor 19:00 22 Oct 2008

is that as far as many forms of wild-life are concerned the best place to see them nowadays is in the parks and suburbs of our cities and towns.

I was born and raised in the countryside, and go back to see various members of my family quite often. One thing that strikes me is how little wild-life there is now, compared to say, fifteen or twenty years ago. There are wild creatures there, but in nowhere near the numbers that existed when I was younger. In my London garden I see a wide variety of birds, insects, and other animals, and I can only imagine that it's because of the rich variety of habitats and food sources in city and town gardens, coupled with the fact that more and more people are gardening organically.

laurie53 20:09 22 Oct 2008

While wildlife, and plantlife, behaviour is affected by temperature, it is affected to much greater extent by length of daylight, which is constant from year to year.

At this time of year both the temperature and the daylight hours are similar to those in the spring, triggering birds, in particular, to display some signs of instinctive breeding behaviour.

Forum Editor 22:57 22 Oct 2008

Birds may well be active when light levels are higher, but they won't breed as temperatures fall, because of the need to find extra food supplies to maintain their body temperature - survival is a higher priority than breeding in autumn and winter, no matter how much light there is.

laurie53 07:48 23 Oct 2008

I didn't say they would breed.

I simply said that at a time in the autumn when daylight lengths and temperature are similar to those of spring some birds will show instinctive signs of breeding behaviour, such as the investigation of nest boxes already referred to, some signs of display and nest gathering, and even sub-song.

Such behaviour rarely lasts more than a few days, although there are birds which have been known to breed in every month of the year.

spuds 12:42 23 Oct 2008

The daily feed rations are put out, but the weather gone a bit dull and chilly today, and hypo-activity seems to be in a bit of a lull period.

As for the rest of the regular wildlife and domestics, nothing seems to have changed. The squirrels are stocking up, the foxes still come for their nocturnal take-aways, and the rest carry on regardless. Isn't life just sweet!.

Coffee Adict 15:44 23 Oct 2008

Just to prove the exception to the rule, walking to work this morning and passing the park everyday as I do with its rag-tag collection of ducks, I noticed a female Mallard with what could only be described as six fluffy balls in tow, they could only have been two days old if that. What surprised me, Mallards not being the most careful of mothers, is that she obviously stuck it out and incubated them, we've had a few torrential downpours over the last month as well.

Whether they will survive is doubtful I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?