Wonder if they had a licence to sing...

Seth Haniel 14:58 11 Dec 2008
  anchor 13:00 14 Dec 2008

I dread to think the of the outcome if there had been reading from "The Satanic Verses"; another Fatwa perhaps?.

It appears that insulting Christian beliefs is permissible these days.

interzone55 13:48 14 Dec 2008

Of course it's OK to insult Christian belief, it's called freedom of speech and we should cherish it...

anchor 17:30 14 Dec 2008

alan14: freedom of speech indeed is a good thing, but today it seems it works only one way.

interzone55 18:03 14 Dec 2008

How do you mean?

We're free to criticise anyone we want, if the criticised party wishes to kick up a fuss then that's just a sign that maybe their chosen stance doesn't hold up well to close examination, just like all religions...

DieSse 22:41 14 Dec 2008

-
"Of course it's OK to insult Christian belief, it's called freedom of speech and we should cherish it..."

In my book, it's fine to disagree, criticise and question. However, insulting is just in bad taste and unnecessary. It smacks too much of not having a sound argument, and I for one dislike it intensely.

I'm an atheist, and enjoy long conversations with Jehovah's Witnesses who come to our door (yes, even in rural Spain). But I wouldn't dream of insulting them - I've got plenty of good points to make without it.

anchor 10:26 15 Dec 2008

alan14: I am sure that you know what I mean. If someone had made a public reading insulting Islam, and/or the Prophet, there would have been an outcry from the Islamic community. Possibly even legal action.

I respect anyone who holds sincere religious beliefs, and would not consider criticising them, let alone insulting them.

interzone55 17:42 15 Dec 2008

"I am sure that you know what I mean. If someone had made a public reading insulting Islam, and/or the Prophet, there would have been an outcry from the Islamic community. Possibly even legal action."

I'm absolutely sure there would be an outcry from the Islamic community, I don't know about legal action though, unless they could prove blasphemy.

The thing is that Christians, especially C of E, are far too tolerant, they do as Jesus instructs and turn the other cheek. They also take the Church for granted, and use only only for Baptisms, Weddings & Funerals ("hatch, match & despatch" as my old vicar used to say), which is why churches are falling into disrepair from lack of attendance & funding.

This excerpt from the rather funny Ade Edmundson /Rik Mayall series bottom typifies our attitude to church.

"Eddie: When did you last go to church?
Richie: Well I don't have to go - I'm Church of England. What are you, Eddie?
Eddie: I don't know.
Richie: Well, what was your mother?
Eddie: A wrestler.
Richie: Well, maybe that's enough general knowledge for one day..."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?