Witchcraft

laurie53 12:09 13 Jan 2008

There's a campaign to pardon the last convicted witch.

click here

The war has been blamed for many things, both official and unofficial, but that someone could be convicted of witchcraft in the middle of the twentieth century, (within my lifetime for Heaven's sake) when rocket power and nuclear fission were coming to fruition, beggars belief.

Nothing new about the closed official mind is there?

At least she wasn't burned, which marks some sort of progress I suppose.

Quickbeam 12:21 13 Jan 2008

Is this still on the statute then...?

Where my mother comes from, Perthshire, the River Tilt has a deep turbulent pool that used to be used for judging the guilt or innocence of witches.

If you survived the torrent, 'well, obviously you must be a witch to do so', and were promptly burned at the stake.

If you drowned, 'well sorry, it was clearly a mistake. But not to worry... you can be buried in consecrated ground'.

Quickbeam 12:32 13 Jan 2008

Repealed in 1951 click here

Definitely downgrading, to go from a witch to a fraudulent medium.

Forum Editor 12:40 13 Jan 2008

one of my Welsh ancestors was convicted for stealing a lamb. He didn't do it, and we have all been traumatised ever since. I think I'll start a petition.

Quickbeam 12:48 13 Jan 2008

Well you would say that. Blood runs thicker than water!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:11 13 Jan 2008

One would assume that being convicted of being a witch is the least of Helen Duncan's concerns now.

G

Forum Editor 14:04 13 Jan 2008

It's hardly something you put on your CV

"Ancestor was convicted of being a witch"

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:09 13 Jan 2008

A witch is something that I would not mind one of my relatives being, it would certainly spice up dull dinner party questions such as 'what was your grandmother....teacher, bank clerk' etc.

G

PILECAP 15:58 13 Jan 2008

Having looked at the Helen Duncan and other associated websites, it is very interesting to learn that somebody with the power to bring about the prosecution of this woman, under an Act of Parliment, referred to by Winston Churchill as "absolute tomfoolery" felt the need to do so. It has been alleged she was imprisoned for nine months due to the paranoia surrounding the forthcoming D-Day Normandy landings and the fear she might blow the plan.

As it is claimed that 13 million people have signed a petition in support of a pardon and 40 million have visited her website, not to mention the mystery and political intrigue, I suspect there is commercial potential in this story. When the film comes out, I along with numerous other people will attend the showing, replete with ectoplasm and popcorn.

Bingalau 19:45 13 Jan 2008

Be nice to have one in your family tree. I wonder how many were in the family of the Archbishop Warlock?

Ancient Learner 21:31 13 Jan 2008

I know a few ladies, to whom I freely suggest, that they have their broomstick parked nearby.
And some are very close family!
And some are very strange indeed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?