wireless router set-uo.Over-complicated & nerdish

bitstream 08:43 27 Mar 2008

I have used several wireless routers and one thing they have is over-complication, mostly to do with security. I am reasonably computer-savvy in a layman's kind of way, but the initial set up is a nightmare. The avalanche of jargon that accompanies this process is outrageous. Why not an initial software interface that asks just 2 things.? 1. A name for the network. 2. A password that only lets your computer, internet radio etc., access the network. Say no to WEPS SSID MACS etc. etc. etc.!! Let the software sort it out.

interzone55 08:51 27 Mar 2008

You'd need to tell it some more stuff as well - like the ip address of your ISP's servers, your username & password. Then you need to tell it whether your want to broadcast the SSID - not usually advised, but necessary sometimes.

Then there's advanced options, these can be hidden from frail types such as yourself, like NAT settings and whther you want to only allow access to certain MACs, oh then there's port forwarding, again this isn't always used, but it's very handy if you have internet accessible security cameras.

In short the settings are there for a reason, perhaps they could be better explained, my router has no manual or help file, so it was an absolute nightmare to set up. Perhaps in most cases they could be preconfigured by the ISP so you just have to setup your PC to access the router, but then again the ISP's margins are low enough already without adding extra costs on their end which most customers are not willing the bare.

bitstream 09:04 27 Mar 2008

OK so that's 5 things that an interface could request! These could all be on one set-up page. I'm not against the "advanced settings". These could be accessed in the usual way(i.e. with a button labelled "advanced settings"!)

Cymro. 11:58 27 Mar 2008

I myself have made much the same complaint on this forum only to be told that all that has to be done is to read the instructions.

You only have to look at the Networking section of this forum to see all the complaints about wireless set up to see that you are not alone in this one.

I myself use a wireless network and as I am now used to it I manage very well but they can be a nightmare especially for the beginner.

Woolwell 14:52 27 Mar 2008

I've recently set up a D-Link modem/router and it was really straightforward. It ran a wizard and asked the relevant questions about security, etc. I did not need to know the ip address of my ISP's servers and didn't need it to set up 3 modem/routers. The advanced settings are a different matter but I am not sure that most need to tinker with these.

Kemistri 15:01 27 Mar 2008

Anyone would think that you were being asked to configure a corporate VPN or a set of servers. If you don't carry out a little bit of basic research into home/small office networks before buying a networking product, it should be no surprise if you struggle with the standardised terminology. It's a pity that people seem to think that they can buy any IT product, plug it in, and sit back without investing even a little user interaction or preparation. It's not too much to expect of them to invest just a little bit of thought. Instead, they apparently expect every IT product to do everything for them, almost to the point of reading their minds and knowing exactly what sort of configuration they might want.

Stuartli 15:33 27 Mar 2008

It's exactly the same with software in many instances...:-)

Cymro. 16:24 27 Mar 2008

So I repeat again what I wrote previously
"You only have to look at the Networking section of this forum to see all the complaints about wireless set up to see that you are not alone in this one".

Why is it that there seem to be so much more complaints about wireless set up than other computer problems?

Why should such things not be just plug and play.

Not all of us are as lucky as you two to be so computer literate but then not all of us are so nerdish.

Cymro. 16:26 27 Mar 2008

AS I have no problems with my own wireless set up I include myself in the term nerdish.

Kemistri 16:40 27 Mar 2008

The Networking forum contains a quite lot of posts from people who would not be posting basic questions if they actually read a manual or two, did a bit of tech research, and learned a few fundamentals. Which does not take much effort.

"Why should such things not be just plug and play?"

Because that would involve even more effort from manufacturers which have already given us excellent, sophisticated products at very cheap pared-down prices, while the customers make absolutely zero effort to use those products. To expect that is just being a bit lazy.

Cymro. 16:55 27 Mar 2008

"if they actually read a manual or two",

So who actually enjoys reading computer manuals?

There would be little need for this forum if we all read the manual.

I have learnt more from this forum and people like you and Stuartli than I ever did from any manual.

As for the manufacturers
Eventually all such things will be plug and play and the sooner the better I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?