Wireless connection etc.

Cymro. 14:55 27 Sep 2006

I notice on today's networking forum that the five out of the first ten postings are in some way or other connected to wireless problems. This very often seems to be the case. I think that it is a problem that very often turns up on all the help forums on this and other sight sites. Why is this? I was once told on this sight that such wireless problems were usually in fact software related in some way or other. This is as may be, but what I want to know is, are wireless routers, cards, software etc. up to the job? It seems to me that they leave a lot to be desired. I like mine as I have a laptop, but doubt their usefulness with desktops. Are they very often more trouble than they are worth for most people? It is alright for the real computer experts but are they good enough for the average user? It seems to me that they need a lot more development.

Cymro. 14:57 27 Sep 2006

Yes I have seen it, for sight read site.

ade.h 15:12 27 Sep 2006

Yes, they are up to the job if you buy quality equipment. It depends what you call an average user, but you can reasonably expect the average computer user to manage basic networking competently. What you don't see from the forums is the thousands of fully functioning home and SME wireless networks.

Cymro. 15:19 27 Sep 2006

Is wireless problems the most common problem on these sort of sites? Average user, yes I agree, so what about the newcomers? Do you think wireless will develop even further in the near future? Well obviously yes I suppose, but in what way?

ade.h 17:32 27 Sep 2006

Newcomers to networks should do what newcomers to any aspect of computing usually do; read, research and digest before plunging in, find the right equipment and find out how to use it. This avoids some potential problems immediately.

Wifi equipment is already well developed. We are lucky enough to have some of the strictest standards in computing and almost all manufacturers adhere to it, Pre-n notwithstanding. That was simply down to impatience while 11n took so long to be ratified. Most domestic routers are already fairly easy to configure to at least a basic essential level. Two examples of easy to use configs would be 3Com and D-Link. I can't see how it could be made *very much* better without losing a lot of very important functionality.

The more advanced technical aspects of configuring a network from the clients' side could be improved further, but we'll see what Vista brings to that.

Forum Editor 18:38 27 Sep 2006

reported by newcomers to wireless networking are those related to computers being unable to connect to the internet via the router.

Hardware manufacturers know this, and they're working hard to address the problem. It should be said that thousands of people get their first ever networking experience when they buy a wireless router, and very often there's a problem with concepts - newcomers to networking often don't undertand the basics, and it leads to confusion when setting up routers and network adapters. I know that Belkin - for instance - are trying hard to resolve these problems.

Cymro. 18:50 27 Sep 2006

I must try to be more tolerant of such things in future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?