Winter Fare

laurie53 16:14 03 Dec 2008

At last.

With a nice bit of frost at least the sprouts and parsnips will have a bit flavour now.

With the season upon us I make no apologies for repeating my tip from last year - if you buy sprouts "on the stalk" cut the end, like flowers, and stand it outside the back door in some water. Nice fresh frost touched sprouts without even taking your slippers off! They'll keep like that for up to six weeks.

Yes I know they are not the veg of choice for vast numbers of you, but there are those of us who can sit down with a bowl of sprouts and est them like popcorn!

BT 16:44 03 Dec 2008

My sister's partner eats them RAW!!

hssutton 16:55 03 Dec 2008

I eat most veg raw, I'm the head cook and bottle washer in our house and by the time I've prepared all the veg for dinner, I'm usually full. Just one veg that I don't care for either raw or cooked is cauliflower, strangely this is the only veg my wife will eat raw.

Must agree with Laurie, frosty sprouts and parsnips are delicious

lofty29 20:15 03 Dec 2008

You can keep your frozen sprouts and parsnips, my wife's beef stew will beat any of that.

Stuartli 21:45 03 Dec 2008

Nobody boils lettuce before eating it...:-)

Most people unfortunately overcook vegetables and some eating out establishments undercook them.

Needs the happy medium for the best taste and goodness.

BT 08:06 04 Dec 2008

I've seen some of those TV celebrity chefs cooking lettuce!

As to 'eating out establisments' undercooking veg, its far too common. They seem to think that everyone must like what is the latest 'fashion' in cooking. I'm afraid chewy pasta and crunchy veg are not my idea of enjoyment. When you think of it you can't have fresh made pasta 'al dente' so why should dried pasta be only partly cooked.
You wouldn't have potatoes 'crunchy' so why must I have carrots or other veg only partly cooked.

€dstowe 08:21 04 Dec 2008

There is a traditional French method of cooking peas with lettuce.

Regarding sprouts, I've converted a vehement sprout hater into liking them by:

1. Trim sprouts and cut in half base to apex.

2. Boil for 2 - 3 minutes.

3. Thinly slice red chili and stir fry in a bland oil to extract the flavour. Add sprouts and stir fry for about 5 - 6 minutes until "caught" (browned) on the edges but still quite crisp.

Excellent taste and no windiness.

Cook plenty and use the extra for bubble & squeak.

Quickbeam 08:23 04 Dec 2008

It's broth, steak n' kidney pie, and jam roly-poly weather... good old stodge food to keep out the cold:)

crosstrainer 08:32 04 Dec 2008

I like the Idea....Never been a fan of sprouts, but the chili experiment sounds good.

Since I'm on my own this year, the rest of the mob off to NZ for the holiday, I am free to experiment! No turkey this year....May have Pheasant, Goose or Duck.

Quickbeam 08:56 04 Dec 2008

click here
I got a couple the other day from a local game keeper the above recipe link is very seasonal with the cranberries, although redcurrants are more traditional but terribly expensive.

I'm a great fan of traditional British country fayre and take any opportunity to serve it to visitors that don't think beyond the usual roast beef etc:)

crosstrainer 08:59 04 Dec 2008

Excellent! I live quite a way from Cardiff Market, but the have a genuine game retailer. Only question is, which do I go for?

Like cranberries (they also do smoked Pheasant) which I highly recommend.

Decisions decisions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?