Wine! are you a Cork person or a Screw top one?

Uboat 21:59 13 May 2010

Having recently changed from drinking larger for years to Red wine, I pay around £6-£10 per bottle which i think is enough, i drink one bottle a week & ive noticed there is some wines at £10 mark that have screwtop & some cheaper wines at £5.? i allways thought it was the other way around where a cork represented romance/quality & quintessentialy a drink that needs to be drunk slowly!

If you was to buy a bottle of red/white would it put you off if it had a screwcap on.?

Woolwell 22:09 13 May 2010

It's the quality of the wine that counts and how it tastes rather than how it is kept in the bottle. I think there is a certain amount of snobbery over corks and screw tops. Having said that if it is a vintage wine that is to be kept then I would prefer a cork.

jakimo 22:35 13 May 2010

Screw caped bottles have always been associated with cheap wines,that is until new world producers thought differently and will fit screw caps on bottles regardless of the quality of the wine

karmgord 22:40 13 May 2010

Screw top,you can never get "corked" wine,plus it's easier to open

Covergirl 05:24 14 May 2010

. . . I reckon the majority of supermarket wine appears to have moved to screw top. It's very rare I need to get the corkscrew out these days.

It is certainly more convenient with a screw cap and imho reduces the incidence of corking.

Quickbeam 07:41 14 May 2010

Becks only comes with crown caps, and Tetley's with a ring pull...

I don't drink much wine, so I find an open bottle of red gets used up in a sauce or else it goes down the sink when it's oxidised.

Wine boxes are the best for occasional wine drinkers, as the collapsible bags prevents any oxidisation, but the choice is much restricted.

Cork Vs screw cap? Cork everytime, you can burn the end on a candle, and paint your faces music hall fashion with the kids (don't try it with an artificial cork), lots of party fun to be had with a cork after a few bottles...:)

morddwyd 07:49 14 May 2010

"reduces the incidence of corking."

I'm sure it does, but I can't see it as much of a factor.

I've been drinking wine for more than half a century and I've never come across any corked wine yet.

BT 08:29 14 May 2010

The thinking now is that screw tops are just as effective as corks these days.
Many 'corks' in mass marketed wines are either a cork composite or even plastic now. The plastic ones are a pain to get out as they are quite resistant to a corkscrew.

What should be remembered is that in the 'old' days corks were the only suitable solution available and even now there are millions still used.

As Uboat makes his bottle last a few days a screw cap makes it easier to reseal the bottle between drinks.

As a Home Winemaker I still use real corks and they are not cheap to buy, and without the proper equipment not easy to insert in the bottles.

ashdav 10:11 14 May 2010

There is a world shortage of suitable cork for making wine stoppers so there has been a move to using alternatives.
You may have noticed how many corks break now when you try to remove them compared to the past.
This is because there has been an enforced move to lower quality cork due to the declining supply.
Corks themselves were an improvement on the original method of a rag stuffed in the neck of the bottle and sealed with wax.

wee eddie 10:42 14 May 2010

For all other purposes, a Screw Cap is just as good and is very much easier to use.

As most of us don't buy wine for laying down, which means that the wine has probably been bought within a year of bottling and allowed to mature, in a "Controlled Environment", for 5 years or more.

Many years ago I had a chance to taste a number of wines that had been 'laid down' for over 30 years. Unfortunately, they had not been properly cared for and all the corks had decayed. The wines were revolting.

Quickbeam 11:51 14 May 2010

A few years ago I was doing some transport for a local glass bottle maker. The bottles were delivered to an uninteresting warehouse in an equally uninteresting Anytown industrial estate, and were filled with wine. Either from 30,000lt road tankers from the continent, or 30,000 lts in lined containers (just like a huge wine box!) shipped from Australia or South/North America.

The bottling plant used cork, composite or screw caps depending on the image the seller wanted to give the wine.

At Christmas time, the bottled wine was on the shelves, and probably drunk within a week of being bottled. In this context, the wine is just a consumer product, factory produced, to be consumed quickly.

Laid down wine is a completely different product and class of wine altogether, and it is this wine that the Oz Clarkes of the world get all in a tiz over, not which is the best £2.99 Asda wine. They may write about it, but they get paid to do that, so they write about it.

For me there is no mystique, I either like wine/beer 'A' over 'B' or not... simples

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017