Windscreen washers

onthelimit 16:03 24 May 2010

No, not the mechanical kind, but the sort that kept springing out at me at traffic lights during a weekend in Bristol. Any good (and legal) suggestions on how to deal with these pests?

Bingalau 16:27 24 May 2010

I thought they had been outlawed? I know they used to be damned nuisance in Liverpool at one time a few years ago. But I guess the local councils and bobbies, must have upped the ante and stopped them.

onthelimit 16:34 24 May 2010

Haven't dared go to Liverpool for years, so don't know! Certainly active down South.

babybell 16:38 24 May 2010

In Bristol under the M32 as you head towards the City centre.

I just put the windscreen wipers on don't make eye contact. Saying no never seems to work.

Put the wipers on a fast setting and it should see them move on.

spuds 17:55 24 May 2010

Not sure about traffic lights, but the other day our local Sainsburys superstore had a number of 'foreign looking' ladies and gentlemen asking if you would like you car washing while you were in the store. Still not sure if this was legit!.

wiz-king 18:00 24 May 2010

We have had them at our local B&Q and Ikea stores for the last couple of years.

Quickbeam 18:07 24 May 2010

Self assembly windscreen washers... whatever next?

wiz-king 18:58 24 May 2010

Surely the Ikea ones should be flat-packed.

ronalddonald 23:29 24 May 2010

spuds ive have the same problem with my sainburyrs in kenton london. They work in the sainsburys car park and always asking anyone for a for a car wash.

they water they use is filthy and they can be quite rude

Forum Editor 00:00 25 May 2010

hang around the traffic lights at Ealing Common and the Hanger Lane gyratory system in the afternoons.

The girls think it's a good ploy to draw a little foam heart on my screen, but it just makes me angry, and I wave them away. They seem to take 'no' for an answer, but I've seen them get aggressive with people who have a go at them. Everyone has to live, but this is a form of begging, and it can be intimidating at times, especially when male washers are involved.

BT 07:48 25 May 2010

Had a bust up with one in Tescos car park last week. His trolley was parked in the middle of a parking space that I wanted to get into.

His attitude was that there were other spaces, and he was at pains to point out the logo on his trolley that said 'Working with Tesco'. He was very verbally abusive and I finally lost it when a woman passing by joined in his abuse saying to me that he was only doing his job and I could park elsewhere. Told her it was nothing to do with her and to mind her own business.

Spoke to the Duty Manager who said that they were not employed by Tesco but by a company that has an arrangement with them to work in the car park. He said that he collects complaints and passes them on on a weekly basis. Seems to me that if that's the case they should get rid of them ASAP. All the car cleaners are foreign and after seeing a TV report where 11 out of 15 of these people working in one Supermarket Car Park were illegals it makes me wonder just how many of the ones in my local Tescos are entitled to be there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?