Windows validation - making insinuations about me

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:21 27 Jul 2005

Hi

I have just visited windows update and gone through the validation thingy for the first time.

This is what it says:

"The scan of your computer has completed. The Windows product key associated with your copy of Windows maps to one of the major PC manufacturers who purchase Windows product keys from Microsoft. The specific product key found on your computer maps to a major PC manufacturer that sells different hardware than the hardware found on your machine. This will not prevent you from validating now, but may cause you problems in the future. Please click Continue to complete the validation process."

What on earth! The only new hardware I have since buying the laptop is a PCMCIA wireless networking card.

This is 100% legit. The manufacturer is a well known one as is the high street chain from which I purchase the Laptop.

How can I prevent any problems in the future?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tas

lotvic 22:31 27 Jul 2005
  tasslehoff burrfoot 22:33 27 Jul 2005

can you delete this please FE?

Tas

lotvic 22:35 27 Jul 2005

and I put the wrong link up !!!
click here

anyone for the pub?

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:36 27 Jul 2005

don't delete yet, I'm confused about what Lotvic means?

Like what? Did you mean to link back to this thread?

Tas

LastChip 22:36 27 Jul 2005

and install Linux.

You didn't want to hear that, did you? ;-)

All joking apart, this is becoming a pain in the rear, and I can't help thinking will alienate genuine users.

How do you overcome it? Don't know, except maybe e-mail Microsoft and explain your circumstances and ask for an explanation.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:40 27 Jul 2005

I was trying to say (in the post you link to) that I didn't like it. Perhaps I picked a bad anaology!

I like it even less now.

Lastchip

I would love to use Linux (I like free) but I'm not bright enough to learn how to use it, unfortunately.

Tas

lotvic 22:51 27 Jul 2005

'cos M$ validation thought that you had put your copy on to another pc (EULA) (hardware change)

I'm just being silly.... ;-0

Pooke 23:10 27 Jul 2005

Validation Complete!

Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

Click Continue to return to your previous activity.

Absolutely no problem, and I have no problems with any procedure that helps prevent theft or other crimes.

Pooke

ajm 23:32 27 Jul 2005

click here

I also did a update just now and had no problems at all downloading security and software updates from the windows web site.

Danoh 23:34 27 Jul 2005

I think this is actually the right forum for your rant click here, which I fully sympathised with. No matter though, now you’ve got it off your chest!! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?