windows defender

sunnystaines 17:21 27 Dec 2008

normally gets a knocking from everyone. but after viewing youtube clips noticed a red cross in windows defender it had cleaned a trojan. my AV failed to see it.

first thing its ever found, never even found a tracking cookie before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:27 27 Dec 2008

I run defender as a real time scanner, backed up by Superantispyware and Malwarebytes both of which never seem to find anything so I assume defender is doing its job well.

sunnystaines 17:29 27 Dec 2008

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I run the same, always run ccleaner before a scan to clear the tracking cookies as SAS for unknown reason always needs a restart to clear them.

[email protected] 15:20 28 Dec 2008

when i got shot of my 32 bit vista, i was giving the pc my to mate, he only need the motherboard, cpu and graphics card, so i had a play, i had subscriptions for nod and kaspersky at the time. i can't post the link but theres a forum which indications a lot of pretty evil sites, i also installed limewire.
the results were shocking to be honest and i havn't trusted any anti-virus since, defender ignored, kis bluescreened and nod got confused and couldnt clean very well at all.
i have since learned much about networking, use a hardware firewall only on my gaming pc, and don't use java or flash on my regular pc i use malwarebytes as a scanner on both.
i think the point is all av's are tested on threats that are days old, a test enviroment with known threats.
on the dark side of the web they don't stand much chance. IMHO of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?