Windows Advisor complaint

johnga 19:42 29 Nov 2006

My complaint is with Windows Advisor. I don't know how good it is, but the way it is marketed is attrocious. I started receiving Windows Advisor monthly updates last January, just before the start of a variable period of illness.

I never read the updates, or paid anything, just put them aside, and thus for some time I was unaware that I was being charged some £15 a month for them. The publishers Agora continued to send the updates for eleven months, right up to the time they threatened me with a debt collector. What sort of business ethics do they follow? The worst, it seems.

I sent more than half of the updates back in November, and explained my situation, but they still want full payment. I am advising you of this action so that other unsuspecting computer users can ensure that they do not get caught by Agora and their highly unethical principles.

Kate B 19:56 29 Nov 2006

I suspect you agreed to receive and pay for the updates when you signed up. Your fault for not reading what you were agreeing to, I imagine.

spuds 00:07 30 Nov 2006

It always pays to read any terms and condition before you agree to anything, no good blaming a company after the event.

Contact your local Citizens Advice Centre, if the company is pressing for payment.

Forum Editor 00:45 30 Nov 2006

make it quite clear that you'll be charged for the monthly updates at the rate of 15p per page, although they don't say how many pages there will be each time.

Have you spoken to the company, and pointed out that they clearly state, on their website, that:

"If you do not wish to keep the updates, then simply send them back and you will owe us nothing. This will automatically end your participation in the updating service." ?

If you haven't done so, I suggest that you call them on 0845 358 0030

Alternatively, write to them:

Agora Publications Ltd,

Nesfield House,

Broughton Hall Business Park,

Broughton Hall,

Skipton,

Yorkshire, BD23 3AN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?