windows activation

007al 16:27 11 Mar 2006

Ive just upgraded someones onboard graphics to a graphics card,and now windows is asking for activation!
Ive changed many graphics cards,and this is the first time ive had this happen.
I thought MS say a new motherboard is seen as a new pc?Not a graphics card!
Has this happened to anyone else?

ade.h 17:00 11 Mar 2006

Have they had many other items changed since the original OS installation?

It's my understanding that - motherboard aside - it takes a certain number of changes before you get bothered by re-activation.

Is it an OEM installation? Perhaps that has different parameters for re-activation, such as just one or two changes.

007al 17:09 11 Mar 2006

Its had a DVD ROM drive added without any problem.
What if you bought an SLI pc with one graphics card and added another one later?
Many companies offer sysytems with the opportunity to add SLI.What would happen if a pc bought from Novatech/Mesh/Evesham etc had a card added?It must be the same,surely.

ade.h 17:39 11 Mar 2006

Probably would be, yeah.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall how many changes you're supposed to be allowed; I thought it was five or something.

gudgulf 02:02 12 Mar 2006

If a change makes Windows ask for reactivation just go on line and activate it.

It's no big deal.....even if you need to phone Microsoft to get an activation code it is not a problem.

Microsoft want you to use Windows and will let you make major changes to the system.Sometimes the changes you make will make Windows need reactivating......and sometimes not.

I have yet to find a situation when upgrading that Microsoft refuse the activation......even with a complete rebuild with all new components.

Forum Editor 10:00 12 Mar 2006

Precisely.

Chegs ®™ 10:43 12 Mar 2006

MS site says you can change x number of components,I had an activation request and all I'd done was OC the CPU a minute amount(.5 on the multiplier)

So XP doesn't need any hardware changing to request you phone/online activate and I think it sux.

g0nvs 11:21 12 Mar 2006

Phone MS, you will have no problems re-activating, done It myself a few times.

007al 13:19 12 Mar 2006

If it was mine it would be no big deal.As it was a favour for someone,they see it as ive done something to their pc,and i should put it right.
Theyre not interested in phoning MS,they think i should do it as they dont know anything about pc`s.
If a printer etc is added,it doesnt call for re-activation.Graphics cards are probably the most sold upgrade with many versions sold by every retailer every day,so i cant see why re-activation is called for.
It should be a set rule for change and not just random,as Chegs was asked for just a slight overclock,which is in no way changing any part if the pc.

gudgulf 16:56 12 Mar 2006

..Will it not activate online?

Here's some information on the actvation requirements

click here

terryf 01:44 14 Mar 2006

I don't understand the fuss, online activation is painless - unless 'someone' has an illegal copy of windows!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires