Windows on $100 laptop

jtt 12:58 06 Dec 2007

Microsoft are doing trials with XP: click here

It seems a bit odd to me that they are basing it on XP - an old version of Windows. I know that Vista is bigger, but I would have thought that it would be a better starting point from which to take things away. Has anyone heard the reason for using XP as the starting point?

I'd prefer it if people avoided any "Vista is rubbish", "Vista is wonderful" opinions.

Seth Haniel 13:26 06 Dec 2007

Probably using up their supply of 'cut-down' xp versions that they use to sell cheaper to foreign markets ;)

interzone55 14:51 06 Dec 2007

Vista isn't really suitable, as even the "Home Basic" version requires far more power than the XO can deliver.

What would be interesting is the next version of Windows (Windows 7), apparently the kernel for this OS is tiny, so will run on this kind of hardware without any problems.

Totally-braindead 16:17 06 Dec 2007

I think it has to be the power issue as alan14 mentioned, XP will run quite happily on a much lower spec PC than is required for even Vista Basic.

Because of the price I would imagine they would want to cut the price of the hardware to the bare minimum and therefore using XP seems to me the better solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone