willing to work for less than minimum wage

carver 10:00 16 Oct 2014

Would you be willing to work for less than minimum wage if you were disabled, personally speaking as a disabled person I don't know how he can continue in his present position.

If this is understanding of what disabled people want in life then I wish he could be placed in the same situation as a disabled person for 6 months.

How anybody can say that a disabled person is "not worth the full wage" shows how little compassion he has.

If you want to listen to his speechor you have been on another planet for last 24 hours.

I thought we were getting to an age were people are treated equal irrespective of their ability to preform certain tasks.

spuds 10:29 16 Oct 2014

I seem to have heard yesterday, that this person as "apologised unreservedly" about his remark, not only that, but another MP as also recently "apologised unreservedly" for making a similar remark about low pay for some people of the community.

It just goes to show, how far out of touch some of these rather arrogant people are with the people they are suppose to represent.

"I thought we were getting to an age were people are treated equal irrespective of their ability to preform certain tasks."

Show me were that applies, because there is still an awful lot of discrimination about, and not only for disabled people, or people who regard they are a very special case, because they class themselves as disabled.

The government have a large amount of work to do on this subject, yet at times, those that are suppose to help, seem to ignore the fact because of the usual "lack of funding and/or resources" that is often churned out.

bumpkin 15:22 16 Oct 2014

The minimum wage should be what it says i.e. the minimum and apply to all. Those with greater abilities for whatever reason can command more.

hssutton 16:02 16 Oct 2014

Bumpkin so you think it's OK for such as my daughter who is disabled with learning difficulties to be denied the opportunity to be in a workplace and enjoy the company of others, because that is what you are implying. My daughter thoroughly enjoys her work experience, but is unable to be productive, so would be more or less confined to home. There are a great many people in our situation who welcome the offer of a work placement and would not expect the minimum wage or any payment for that matter, just pleased that some employers will offer the chance to be in a working environment.

Forum Editor 16:15 16 Oct 2014

Sometimes people say things that they later regret - I imagine we have all done it at some point.

What was said was stupid and offensive, as the person concerned has admitted. He says he deeply regrets the offense it caused, and has apologised profusely. There's not much more he can do now. We'll have to wait to see what, if anything, happens now.

If we are all going to start baying for blood each time a microphone picks up an inappropriate remark from a politician we will rapidly run out of people to so the job.

carver 16:38 16 Oct 2014

F.E we aren't talking about some nondescript who voiced an opinion about disabled people we are talking about some one who is the welfare reform minister.

He is responsible for working out how much people on welfare receive, looks good that he believes that someone who has a learning impairment is worth less than an able bodied person.

My son is in the autistic spectrum and I would be so insulted if some one suggested he is worth less than another person because of a disability, he has to work twice as hard than an able bodied person to get the same results.

Forum Editor 17:02 16 Oct 2014

carver

I'm not for one moment suggesting that it wasn't a crass, offensive remark to make - of course it was. What irritates me when these things happen is the way that the media jump onto a bandwagon and start deciding that people are deeply offended, almost before anyone has had time to be offended.

Lots of people make silly remarks when they are off-guard. It doesn't automatically mean that they are monsters, never to be forgiven for their verbal clangers. Lord Freud is no stranger to controversy, but people who work with him speak about his sincerity. He's married to a nurse, he has children, and I imagine his family was mortified when news of his indiscretion broke. It was he who worked on the 2008 Green paper which called for measures to get more disabled people into work. His ideas enraged the left of the Labour Party, but were supported by the Conservatives.

I think he is worth more to the government in it rather than out of it, and I hope this incident doesn't signal the end for him - he's a very able man.

spuds 17:28 16 Oct 2014

Carver - I think most people would understand your sentiments in your last paragraph, but also at the same time we might need to be more realistic to a given situation.

In Rumpelteazer's post was spot on regarding 'occupational therapy', because this is what it can mean in a number of occasions. On the other side of the coin, some 'disabled' people can, and indeed do, hold down employment, being equal with those doing the same job.

If your original introduction is more about a politician making stupid remarks, then I have already pointed out what an arrogant person this man was, as well as another political colleague. But whats the betting that other similar people have thought or possibly said the same, and will continue to do so in the future?.

namtas 17:50 16 Oct 2014

People are employed to do work which in turn generates a profit for their employer, most not for profit organisations on the other hand have people who do work and earn nothing apart from self esteem, I am in this category. If a person through no fault of theirs is unable to do the same degree of work as an fully able bodied person, what is an employer to do, ok if the job is subsidised he might employ that person just to give him or her a job. Alternatively he would decide to only employ able bodied. Some one has to decide. We may not like it, we may not agree with the principal but business's are not run as charities and something has to give.

Forum Editor 17:50 16 Oct 2014

spuds

"I have already pointed out what an arrogant person this man was.."

You know him then, do you, or have you - as you so often seem to do - just based your comment on a prejudice?

spuds 17:57 16 Oct 2014

As usual Forum Editor, I based it on what I see and hear, which you always seem to make the point of telling me that it is prejudice.

Arrogant people cut very little leeway with me, especially if they hold power, and perhaps should know better.

Wars are often caused by flippant remarks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?