Will they never learn?

fourm member 09:07 13 Jun 2014

I was going to add this to the hibernation thread but I think it is different.

With the jury in the hacking trial considering its verdicts what muppets (in all three main parties) decided it would be a good idea for their leaders to suck up to Murdoch by being photographed with the Sun giveaway in the hands?

Would you have assumed the leaders didn't care about England's chances if they hadn't appeared in these pictures?

And, given that the Sun isn't sending this to everyone in the UK, should the leaders endorse something so divisive?

morddwyd 09:43 13 Jun 2014

No, nor me!

QuizMan 10:05 13 Jun 2014

I wouldn't call it sucking up to Murdoch, but if there's a passing bandwagon, politicians rarely miss the chance to jump on board especially if there is an election less than 12 months away.

fourm member 10:06 13 Jun 2014

Sorry. I assumed these pictures were in wide circulation since I'd seen them.

Here's Cameron & Miliband and this is the Sun's Twitter feed with the Clegg picture.

spuds 12:50 13 Jun 2014

"Would you have assumed the leaders didn't care about England's chances if they hadn't appeared in these pictures?"

It didn't appear that they didn't care in Parliament the other day, when they and some of the other politicians took out time to make there little speeches for England and its team.

Whose every known a politician to refuse a photo-shoot when the opportunity arises. A very sad politician who doesn't, I would suggest.

fourm member 12:57 13 Jun 2014

Ed Miliband apologises but doesn't explain why he didn't realise it was a stupid thing to do in the first place.

bumpkin 13:07 13 Jun 2014

I am surprised that any of them would wish to be associated such a publication.

fourm member 13:57 13 Jun 2014

bumpkin

My point exactly.

After all the embarrassment of Leveson and hearing how close party leaders are to Murdoch and his staff, they still haven't learnt to keep their distance.

My worry is that they would have been persuaded to do this by the veiled threat that the Sun would paint them as anti-England if they refused.

bumpkin 14:49 13 Jun 2014

My worry is that they would have been persuaded to do this by the veiled threat that the Sun would paint them as anti-England if they refused.

That would not surprise me in the least.

morddwyd 15:09 13 Jun 2014

Milliband's not quite so bad, but has Cameron ever turned down, or even not manipulated, the chance for a photo or sound bite?

fourm member 15:59 13 Jun 2014

'Milliband's not quite so bad'

My thread title becomes more relevant when you do an image search for 'miliband sun' and 'cameron sun'.

It turns out this is not the first time Ed has been in trouble for posing with the paper.

It isn't even the second time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone