Will the Scots adopt the Bawbee?

john bunyan 21:54 13 Feb 2014
Answered

As an English person who loves Scotland and the Scots, I hope they will vote "No", for many reasons such as the whole of UK being stronger than the sum of its parts - in particular it seems ridiculous to have separate Defence, Intelligence units plus BBC, Met Office etc. Cameron and Osborne are "hate figures" to many Scots so their views may not be popular, but the top Treasury Civil Servant has said a currency union is not recommended if the vote is "Yes".

Treasury

Salmond may bluster that this will not be enforced, but it seems that all 3 parties agree with the idea of not allowing a currency union. A threat to walk away from the Scottish share of the National Debt , if adopted, would mean Scotland would find it hard to find lenders, and rates would be very high. I guess the Euro would be unpopular, I wonder what the Scots voters think.

1]: [click here

Aitchbee 22:06 13 Feb 2014

I am a Scot. The Bawbee is a viable alternative, once it has been trialed.

john bunyan 22:12 13 Feb 2014

Aitchbee

What is the rate of exchange? Will you keep a few pounds, just in case?

Aitchbee 22:26 13 Feb 2014

jb - my finacial adviser will keep me solvent during the transformation of Scotland's Independance Transaction, no sweat ;o)

flycatcher1 22:49 13 Feb 2014

I have had trouble with Scottish Pound Notes in my time.

wee eddie 23:47 13 Feb 2014

I am going for the Groat. It's just that I don't know if Emperor Salmond will honour my pension

morddwyd 09:16 14 Feb 2014

The Irish Republic managed to keep parity with the pound sterling from the time of the inception of the state until the 1970s.

Why should Scotland not be able to do the same?

People forget, we've been through all these issues before in Ireland.

Neither the UK, or the Republic, went into meltdown.

john bunyan 09:48 14 Feb 2014

"If I were a Scot it might well put my back up, when promises were made and then discarded - a dangerous strategy I reckon."

I agree; I suspect it will have a neutral effect - the worriers offsetting those annoyed by the proposal. What do the actual Scottish voters want for a currency?

oresome 09:52 14 Feb 2014

I do hope we don't get into increasingly bitter arguments before the vote that then make negotiations all the more difficult afterwards.

I also don't want the losing voters, who may well be a sizeable minority, to feel aggrieved forever more.

In the light of that I would prefer the arguments of the English to centre on the benefits of Scotland remaining within the UK.

I for one believe that the UK as a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

fourm member 10:42 14 Feb 2014

I do have to laugh at the 'this will alienate people' argument.

Put a different way it becomes 'people prefer being lied to'.

What has happened is that the treasury has told the simple truth that Salmond trying to make light of the serious difficulties of creating an independent Scotland is pulling the wool over people's eyes.

What ever aspect of separation you look at, you find the SNP's argument is deeply flawed. Look at what the white paper says about postage, for example.

I can't stand listening to Robert Peston speak but, in writing, he makes a lot of sense.

'negotiate to come to a friendly conclusion' Source?

Because what the agreement actually says is

'The two governments are committed to continue to work together constructively in the light of the outcome, whatever it is, in the best interests of the people of Scotland and of the rest of the United Kingdom.'

It is hardly in the interests of the UK to give a blank cheque to bail out Scotland in the circumstances Peston describes.

fourm member 10:48 14 Feb 2014

Jock1e

'Just wonder if they will have a vote on that if it comes to it eventually.'

One thing that has been made abundantly clear to anyone who bothers to read either the white paper or the latest 'Yes' campaign newsletter (sent to every household in Scotland) or even reports of Salmond's speeches and interviews is that a 'Yes' vote is a vote to be in the EU and there will be no other opportunity to express an opinion on the matter.

Part of the currency issue is that Salmond won't dismiss the idea of adopting the Euro at some point.

The Tories don't need to be free of Scotland to be sure of being in power in Westminster. At least, that is the view of the SNP because the campaign says that a 'yes' vote is the only way to be free of Tory rule.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?