Will the reported seismic waves...

Quickbeam 09:01 26 May 2014

be felt in Brussels, or will the Eurocratic pachyderms still be well insulated from criticism?

john bunyan 09:09 26 May 2014

Quote from Reuter:

Initial results from around the 28-nation bloc showed the pro-European centre-left and centre-right parties will keep control of around 70 percent of the 751-seat EU legislature

Maybe they will listen; probably not!

Forum Editor 16:32 26 May 2014

MechKB 2

"As for those elected to that super gravy train that is the EU not a hope in hell."

That's an odd remark. European MPs are elected, and lots of them have just been re-elected, presumably by voters who believe they (the MPs) are doing a good job. It means that they must be listening, doesn't it?

Forum Editor 17:21 26 May 2014

MechKB 2

"If you say so but I really do not want to discuss the issue with you ,thanks."

Then don't participate in a discussion forum.

By all means choose not to post in the first place, but it's a pretty daft policy to make a statement and then, when someone responds to it, post again to say that you don't want to discuss it.

Forum Editor 17:54 26 May 2014

spider9

"let's face it how many people could name more than one Euro MP"

I agree, but voting for people who you think will not listen to the electorate is pretty pointless really, unless your vote is going to serve another purpose - to negate the vote of someone who votes for a competing candidate, for instance.

john bunyan 18:39 26 May 2014

spider9

On this issue, at least, I fully agree with you. I have only once written to my MP with a suggestion (about building a bridge from Portsmouth to Gosport) . Instead of taking it up, he merely gave me the local County Highways response. (Waste of time as I knew that already).

As to MEP's, when would a normal elector contact them - what do they do to find out what we want?

In any case as you say, most of us vote for the party that is closest to our views, and we have no influence on the selection of the candidate (no primaries as in US) so our notion of democracy is stretched a bit.

Maybe for the General Election it would be possible to have, say, up to 3 candidates for each party so you could tick the box of the one you want - at least that would be a bit more democratic, as it is far too boring to actually attend party meetings!

fourm member 07:51 27 May 2014

'Maybe for the General Election it would be possible to have, say, up to 3 candidates for each party so you could tick the box of the one you want - at least that would be a bit more democratic'

I think there is a lot to be said for primaries, especially in 'safe' seats.

If a seat is always going to go to the same party the danger is that an outsider gets parachuted in because head office wants them.

If people could register, as they do in the US, and vote for their choice of candidate you would see a re-engagement with politics and more people would take an interest in who was standing.

There is a high inertia in the current system meaning that hundreds of seats will always go to one of the two main parties.

That means many people know their vote won't make any difference and that spreads to seats where a contest is real.

fourm member 08:53 27 May 2014

spider9

I'm afraid you're agreeing with something that will never happen.

If safe seats had primaries the actual general election vote would become a formality (actually it is already a formality but that would be more obvious) and that would remove the false drama of the 'How Britain voted' shows on TV.

I'd love it if those programmes began by setting out the true situation.

'Party A will win these 240 seats. Party B will win these 220 seats. Party C will win these 10 seats. And these 180 seats are the ones that matter.'

morddwyd 09:57 27 May 2014

Interesting that in Scotland, while UKIP got its first MEP, the most vociferous and open pro-EU party, the SNP, increased its share of the vote.

fourm member 10:33 27 May 2014

morddwyd

I know I get mocked for always being the one to ask for sources but I'm genuinely interested because the BBC results show the SNP share down 0.07 percentage points (call it unchanged).

That same table shows the Tories as increasing their share albeit by just 0.4 points.

Labour turned a 5 point drop in 2009 into a 5 point gain.

In 2009 the SNP's share jumped nearly 10 points so you'd have to say it seems to have peaked.

Looking again, I wonder if you've taken the total UK figures that do show an increase. I don't know if that's a mathematical quirk or an error but I would expect the Scotland only figures to be more reliable.

spuds 12:20 27 May 2014

I would suspect that most people have never dealt with an MP let alone an MEP, so actually know very little about the person they may have voted for. In the 'Euro' election it was the political party, who had the say on which candidates stood for election, not the public.

I freely admit that my vote was more of a protest against mainstream politics, and the UKIP candidate was returned as an MEP representing my election area. That particular person as had a rather controversial past as an politician, due to his politic moves within party's, but due to the voting method I had no say to whether this person 'won' my particular vote.

The forthcoming regional elections is a very different ball game, because the candidate will win or lose by public opinion of whether that person is suitable.

Must also agree that spider9 earlier comments rings true!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?