Will this effect your bank balance!

spuds 13:47 09 Aug 2005

Being just a little thoughtful with the everyday wonders of life in a modern world, I wonder if this is effecting anyone in the UK yet click here click here

I hope my PalPal account with Ebay is Okay!!.

Charlie Babbage 14:00 09 Aug 2005
  Charlie Babbage 14:12 09 Aug 2005

.... click here

LastChip 14:15 09 Aug 2005

Spoofs have been happening for a long time from these companies. They have managed to stem the tide a little, but it's still very prevalent.

If the above report is true, there is going to be a serious problem not only with banking, but web commerce as well.

It's a subject I've been "harping on" about for some time here at PCA, and the possible consequences are quite frightening.

It seems, just as everyone thinks they have a secure set-up, a hacker comes along and tears it apart. Where it's all going to lead to; your guess is as good as mine!

octal 16:44 09 Aug 2005

I had a pishing email yesterday, this is a screenshot:

click here

Note the address in the address bar, not very professional and the site is less so.

LastChip 17:48 09 Aug 2005

Agreed; because you know what to look for, but I wouldn't mind betting a "pound to a pinch" that a fair few people have fallen for it.

I've said before, the fact that the people here take the time to visit and even "lurkers" that read the threads, are more computer literate than average.

Trust me; the vast majority can barely turn a computer on, let alone recognise a scam, even as blatant as this. Surprisingly, even people that use computers in their work, are often limited to the application they have been taught, and anything outside of that, appears to be rocket science!

octal 18:02 09 Aug 2005

You are right, most people are intimidated by computers so they wouldn't see anything wrong, maybe computers should come with a government warning, like ciggies and health warnings but saying "You will lose all your money if you don't read this warning" with instructions enclosed for computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone