WiFi thief cautioned

Forum Editor 19:52 17 Apr 2007

Is your wireless network protected? Even more to the point, have you been guilty of 'sharing' your neighbour's open WiFi connection?

click here

Jak_1 19:59 17 Apr 2007

One good reason why I don't use WiFi. The number of people I do know who use it though is more than a few and none had even thought about protecting things until I mentioned it to the them and how it's done.

Al94 21:47 17 Apr 2007

Does the fact that they were just cautioned indicate a weak case and lack of evidence?

rodriguez 21:55 17 Apr 2007

That was on my local news earlier and I think it's mainly people who leave the encryption off that are at risk. Encrypted networks can't be accessed by the average Joe on the street who wants free Internet and mine's all encrypted and secure. However there are a lot of people who leave them unencrypted and open to invasion because they probably think the idea of encryption is complicated. ISPs should really give a detailed instruction booklet about turning their encryption on. I'm on Sky Broadband and the router they sent already had the encryption on and the SSID and WEP key were printed on a card that was with the router. If all ISPs start doing this it will cut the problem quite a bit.

josie mayhem 22:05 17 Apr 2007

I think that most ISP's that provide a router already do this, my bt came with encryption is on and SSID is on the bottom of the router....

I think the problem with unprotected routers is more with shop brought routers that people buy to build there own networks...

But where I live there are 6 networks available and all of ours are encrypted.

Al94 22:16 17 Apr 2007

Often wondered how secure, eg Netgear Wireless Router, just by turning on access control and only allow trusted PC's to connect by MAC address? I have this set so that only three family Pc's are allowed to connect.

interzone55 22:16 17 Apr 2007

My gran used to say "The tempter is just as bad as the tempted"

If you keep you're network unsecured it's just as bad as leaving your front door wide open, don't be surprised if someone walks off with your TV.

mammak 22:23 17 Apr 2007

I was in up in Glasgow visiting my son and had taken my laptop to show him some family related files and the like,

and by pure accident on loading up my laptop had not even thought about turning off my WiFi came across a WiFi connection that happened to belong to the Estate agents over the road from my Son,

I of course immediately turned of my WiFi,

but was very shocked that an Estate Agents network was unprotected as this one clearly was!

so I am most defiantly protected,

this brings to light that it is stealing regardless of how you look at it,
but unfortunately it will take more than these few cases to make people aware of how vulnerable their Networks are I mean if they can use your Internet connection in this way what on earth else can they do with your computer the mind boggles.

Woolwell 22:25 17 Apr 2007

Broadband finally arrived in my area about 2 years ago. Shortly after, my wife using her laptop announced that she was on broadband upstairs. I said you can't be, I haven't installed a wireless router yet. But she was on broadband. One of our neighbours had an unsecured net and her laptop had found it. The unsecured net vanished soon after.

Since then I haven't found an unsecured net and only occasionally actually found more than 1 network available.

My home and work networks are protected.

Forum Editor 22:50 17 Apr 2007

"a weak case and lack of evidence?"

The fact that this man was reported by neighbours, and was arrested after putting cardboard over his car windows so his laptop wasn't visible hardly suggests a weak case, or lack of evidence.

We don't have all the facts, so I can't guess why there was no prosecution, but there could be several reasons. What is significant is that the police took action. In future there'll be more of these incidents, I'm sure.

Stuartli 23:26 17 Apr 2007

One of the suggestions made by the Detective Constable who made the arrests (there were at least two cases) was that paedophiles or others could donwload certain types of files with little risk of being caught.

The officer added that it would be the innocent owner of the broadband service who would initially be hearing a knock on the door, although it was more than likely that no evidence could be found.

However, it would seem to me that it might prove difficult to prove innocence in such an instance.

He said the details of the arrests had been made public to encourage those using wi-fi equipment to ensure that proper encryption was undertaken.

In any case it's still theft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?