This is why we have so much Health & Safety

interzone55 22:28 27 Jun 2008

...legislation

click here

How can a 73 year old caretaker possibly claim he didn't know how to use a ladder.

People like him are the reason we have "Use Handrail" signs at work.

And signs that say "Beware of people on the other side of the door" on doors with glass panels in them.

And "Caution Hot Water" signs above the HOT water taps...

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:17 27 Jun 2008

'Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No-one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.
Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.'

Eow is nighe 00:01 28 Jun 2008

I find it hard a "75" yr old man hasnt had any previous experiance in ladder climbing before, he has been made clear of a huge legal loophole here & come out guns blazing, terrible example to set, the courts should offer him the obsolute minimal compensation of just a few hundred pounds as its clear here it was Injustice taken place of someone of a age that one wouldnt expect to see.

Forum Editor 00:08 28 Jun 2008

a client of mine recently moved to a new house. The area is one in which you need a resident's parking permit to park outside your own house. You've paid your car tax, and your Community charge, but nevertheless you must pay more to your greedy local authority so you can have a resident's parking permit - so be it.

My client applied for a permit and was told that while he was awaiting a decision (about whether he could pay the council to park outside his own home) he would be allocated a 'temporary dispensation number', allowing him to park and avoid receiving a penalty notice. He took them at their word and parked. Time passed. Quite a lot of time passed, because his council seems to do everything on a geological timescale. "What's the hurry?" they seem to say "After all, it's not as if we have to think about bottom lines or anything boring like that".

One day the client came home to find a traffic warden -or whatever they're calling them this year - slapping a £100 ticket on the car. "Stop! I have a dispensation number" he cried. "You had one" the warden smiled "but it expired after two weeks - that was yesterday, and you didn't apply for a renewal". Enraged, my client stormed into his house, to find that his shiny new, hologram-enhanced, self adhesive resident's permit had arrived. Triumphantly he raced outside, where the Traffic Warden was still carefully photographing his number plate. "Stop!" he cried, for the second time "Look, I have my permit, and it's dated from last week, so I'm covered". The TW smiled that smile again. "I'm afraid not, you didn't display it, so you are parked illegally, and there's nothing I can do about it. It shows up here, on my little handheld computer, so I know you've got it, but it must be on the windscreen; sorry, but my hands are tied".

Appeals will be made, and no doubt the client will sort it out without having to fork out £100, but wouldn't it be wonderful if, just now and then, we could all use a little commonsense in our dealings with each other?

Eow is nighe 00:26 28 Jun 2008

FE i think had i of been "Your client" & in the same situation i would of had a burst of rage with the TW as it was a clear personal touch of the TW prooving his point & using any "R&R" (Rules & Regs) to win the case & frustrate your client more,this is a joke & your client had been to the point & made all the correct proceedures but this TW wanted to win here.this is a outrage & should of been thrown out..

Chegs ®™ 02:00 28 Jun 2008

Award the fool compensation,but only so he can buy an instruction manual on howto use a stepladder safely.

I cannot believe a court would decide in his favour,particularly as it states he knew not to stand on the very top platform from which he fell.

Week in week out,I see adverts declare "where there's blame,there's a claim" yet through no fault of my own I am unable to work because I suffered a back injury from motorists colliding with the rear of my car and I'm told I cannot claim compensation as "it would be too difficult to apportion blame to one particular motorist from the five who crashed into me"

Signed

Mr Downright-Bloody-Angry

Nowhere-Near-London

jakimo 03:05 28 Jun 2008

"but wouldn't it be wonderful if, just now and then, we could all use a little commonsense in our dealings with each other"

now theres a novel thought.

Why is a council employing a 73 yr.old to do a job that entails going up a ladder,and a second thought,don't council workers normally retire at 60-65,they do round here

Quickbeam 08:39 28 Jun 2008

"The TW smiled that smile again. "I'm afraid not, you didn't display it, so you are parked illegally, and there's nothing I can do about it"

That's because local parking wardens are paid for results, he got a technically correct 'result'. The fact that it may later be quashed is irrelevant... He's added one to his expected quota.

laurie53 08:56 28 Jun 2008

As far as notices go, many companies go in for overkill.

For example, there is no need to have a "Fire Exit" sign on a door which obviously leads outside, or an a door which is the normal means of ingress/egress, but have a look the next time you go shopping.

I once had a complaint, from a union rep., that his office door (only occupant, only one door) did not have a "Fire Exit" sign on it!

Like I've said before, all too often it's not the legislation but the people reading it who are the problem.

Colin 11:10 28 Jun 2008

I would imagine that the chap being 73 would, before his accident, be of the opinion that compensation claims for things such as falling off a ladder were ridiculous and a symptom of modern society. But as soon as he's in a position top make a claim it's all me, me, me. It’s a sad state of affairs but a lot of people are only against things because they can’t be part of it, but as soon as they are it’s the most important thing in the world.

Cymro. 11:33 28 Jun 2008

All this "you must sue them" business come over from America where lawyers have been raking it in for years. Like a lot of other things it was not one of Uncle Sam's best ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?