Why so few full time jobs?

mrwoowoo 09:12 21 Dec 2013

My sons just finished college with bookkeeping, and account qualifications, but there seems very few jobs out there. He is willing to do most things, but Nearly all jobs are either part time (3 to 16 hours a week)zero hours or micky mouse apprenticeships. My idea of an apprenticeship is to have a trade at the end of it, but now there are apprenticeships at McDonalds, in cafe's waiting tables,serving in shops and also bar work. How do the government let these bogus apprenticeships get away with it, as I believe the £2.80ph or so for apprenticeships is state funded Hence,I belive the rise in these sort of jobs. Perhaps it looks good on the employment figures? Can they get rid of an apprentice after a year or so, and then hire another so they have a permanent employee that they never have to pay for? I take it that firms save money due to having no pension contributions to make. Also they can save on redundancy by just getting rid of part time workers when they feel like it. Even jobs such as office juniors or trainee accountants want 2 years experience. How would an office junior have 2 years experience if all the jobs require that? How will people manage to get mortgages in the future. This just seems like gross exploitation in the jobs market against people desperate for any kind of work. Never having been unemployed, I admit to not taking much notice of the employment opportunitiesup until now, so perhaps it's been this way for a long time.

Quickbeam 09:26 21 Dec 2013

mrwoowoo

That's it in a nutshell, a big public relations con.

Quickbeam 09:45 21 Dec 2013

My 17 year old nephew is currently in the same situation and is likely to commit to a 9 year stint in the RAF in the new year to attain a worthwhile skill with a useful civvy use in the real world (air traffic control apprenticeship).

I'd hate to be leaving school now, only recently I came across my first pay slip dated 18th Nov 1972. I did 48.5 hours at an hourly rate of 22p and took home £10.10p aged 16. It was a fortune compared to the 50p a week pocket money that I got the week before, it was hard work and I expected a full weeks work every week with Christmas and New Year weeks going up to 70+ hours with overtime. I got a good work ethic out of it which stood me in good stead later when I rose to production manager.

I don't see any incentive whatsoever in the present work climate for the young to give anymore than minimal input for the minimal rewards from employers.

the.hick 10:03 21 Dec 2013

I can just about recall, in the building trades back in the sixties, something called the 'Lump'. Seems that this may have been an early (although underhand?) version, of 'zero-hours' contracts, avoidance of pension contributions, etc..

Aitchbee 11:04 21 Dec 2013

The ever-increasing rise in cheap imported consumer goods from China is a major contributing factor in the decline of manufacturing jobs in the UK over the last three decades ... and will continue to be so, I reckon.

Woolwell 12:20 21 Dec 2013

The problem with a lot of admin jobs (eg bookkeeping and accounts) is that they are taken by women who only want part-time work because of looking after children etc. Employers cannot specify gender but if you look around then you will find that the majority of these jobs are filled by women. There are jobs out there but they don't come to you. You have to go out and find them which I appreciate is difficult. Employers advertise for the ideal employee knowing full well that the person doesn't exist. Don't be put off by not matching all of the requirements. Numeracy, a good standard of written and spoken English will go far.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:22 21 Dec 2013

Proper Apprenticeships seem to be few and far between today, compared with 30/40 yrs ago (were we lucky in those far off days?).

The rail industry took on hundreds of engineering apprentices every year in the big works like Swindon, Derby, and Doncaster. The largest freight operator in this country only took on 4 last year. All the rail companies are staring to suffer from a lack of experience as their staff get older and no new experienced staff to replace them.

Most new rail engineering recruits seem to come from the Forces so perhaps the only choice youngsters have now is to join up from school to stand a chance a job in Civvy Street later.

Talking to one lad in Scotland recently and asked him why he "joined up", his reply was he couldn't find a job anywhere but didn't want to hang around the streets doing nothing.

I feel really sorry for youngsters nowadays as prospects appear to be small

Are skilled tradesmen on the decline due to lack of apprenticeships? I of course refer to another thread in SC where we we concerned about "skilled" heating engineers.

fourm member 13:26 21 Dec 2013

Of course, there are individuals finding it hard to get full-time work. In fact, the ONS says there are 1.46 million people who say they would like to be working full-time rather than the part-time they are doing.

However, the number of full-time jobs is growing much faster than part-time.

fourm member 13:49 21 Dec 2013

Incidentally, though there has been a fall in manufacturing for a long time, the UK remains the 11th largest manufacturer in the world. If you recalculate based on population the UK moves up to 7th.

Some of the loss of manufacturing jobs has resulted from a long trend of increased productivity.

(That trend suffered a hiccup in the past few years because manufacturers did not lay off as many staff as their downturn in activity required.)

In other words, things are not as bleak as many people seem to like to believe.

Forum Editor 16:13 21 Dec 2013

Some of the EU immigrants currently working here will tell you that there are lots of full-time jobs available, but young British people are too lazy to do the work.

woody 16:36 21 Dec 2013

"British people are too lazy to do the work."

Or could it be some people are happy to live 14 to a room and make do with low pay within the "off book" economy?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?