Why the police aren't flavour of the month

  WhiteTruckMan 21:33 07 Aug 2010

Ok, this one isnt in the papers, but its a bit closer to home and no less vexing for it.

About 2 weeks ago my brother came home from his makework job placement scheme to find that his front door had been broken down and crudely nailed up with a piece of plywood. He lives alone in a 2 up 2 down mid terraced house. The back door didnt have any external locks, so the only way into the house was to break down the barricading. He contacted the police about it, and was told that they were the ones who had broken in. Apparently, acting on intelligence recieved, a warrant to search the premesis was executed to look for drugs or any evidence that drugs had been dealt etc... The house was left in a right upturned state, sniffer dogs had been in (footprints etc) and upshot was that nothing at all illegal or incriminating was found. (This doesnt surprise me, but please accept my word for it that he's not that type.) The front door and frame is unusable. The rear door was only secure because of the number of bolts and locks that could only be used from the inside. He now has to enter/exit by the rear door, which now has an external lock on nowhere near as secure as it once was. The police have said they will pay, which they wouldnt do if any evidence of anything at all had been found. But the officer who deals with the financial side of these things was on leave, so nothing could be done, but he was told to pay for the repairs and submit a bill. (On £65 per week!! Get real!) Because of payment authorisation problems in the past (the police's reputation) he hasnt managed to find a local tradesman/company willing to do the work and bill the police directly. Then the payments officer reappeared briefly, left a message to the effect that he was to get 2 quotes and submit them, and if the police thought they were reasonable then they would pay the cheapest. The he disappeared again on some course.

I've offered to help, but I think he is too proud to accept it. He tried going to the social (or whatever its called now) for an emergency loan. The are 'looking into the matter and a decision is pending any week now'

In the meantime his house looks like one of many abandoned properties, and he is fearfull of another break in. This time by the local bottom feeders.

I've suggested he tries his local MP & councillor, but he hasnt managed to locate them yet.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed by all this, and I think depression is starting to set in for him.

Apart from crossing the lancashire constabulary off any of our christmas card lists, has anyone got any other ideas? He doesnt want to go to the local papers because he doesnt want to advertise even wider how insecure his house is.


  octal 21:37 07 Aug 2010

Contact the local MP and see if he can rattle a few cages.

  WhiteTruckMan 22:05 07 Aug 2010

I think his local mp is on holiday somewhere. As I said, he's not managed to locate him.


  al's left peg 22:20 07 Aug 2010

I think he should get down to Citizens Advice, and ask to talk to a solicitor about this. I believe you are allowed 15mins free with one for cases like this. They should give him some idea of how he can redress this.

  rdave13 22:21 07 Aug 2010

I'd go to CAB straight away. They will be able to sort this out as it's against a Government paid section and will be rather simple for CAB to rattle a few cages as those implied have to follow the rules.

  Woolwell 22:21 07 Aug 2010

Try contacting the Lancashire Police Authority click here and make a complaint.

  Forum Editor 22:50 07 Aug 2010

is his local authority Councillor. There's no point in talking to a solicitor, the advice he'll be given is that the Police are liable for the cost of repairs - he already knows that. What's needed is action, and the Councillor will have access to the Police Committee members.

  rdave13 23:01 07 Aug 2010

Your suggestion carries weight no doubt. The local Councillor.
Personally CAB will bear much more weight to the complaint, which will no doubt go to the local Wallah, then taken on, with the hierarchy, much more quickly rather than not taken up by the CAB.

  MAJ 23:09 07 Aug 2010

£250 in labour and costs should get him a new frame, front door and locks, if you want to help him out yourself WTM. Don't you have a joiner friend who would do the job until the police get their act together?

Sorry I don't know what you mean by "barricading".

  HWJC 14:17 09 Aug 2010

WTM: Ok, this one isnt in the papers, but its a bit closer to home and no less vexing for it.
In the early 80s, the same thing happened to me. In those days it was so prevalent, the Police actually employed a joiner on their payroll to do the job. There was a local housing association back then that emergency re-housed me as no-one was safe from the police.

The only change in the last 30 years seems to be that the Police don't employ a joiner full-time.

  Chegs ®™ 16:48 09 Aug 2010

I have a mate who experienced exactly the same,only the Police didn't barricade his front door afterwards,simply pulled it closed and left it.He contacted the Police who informed him why his home had been broken into(acting on information received)and that they wouldn't be paying for the repairs as they didn't have to.The Police did remove several balls of tree resin which he'd collected from his chainsaws,left his home in disarray with several hundred evidence bags & lots of evidence tags scattered around but were unable to gain entrance to his garage(he had installed Police approved locking systems that were impervious to their bolt-croppers)and reinforced the back of the solid wooden doors with boiler-plate so they couldn't batter a way in either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?