Why is it needed

User-1159794 19:31 29 Sep 2007

Nero.
AOL.
Norton.
All require a bit of software to remove the rubbish they leave behind.

WHY.

Earthsea 19:37 29 Sep 2007

Poor design, bad programming etc...

Marko797 21:06 29 Sep 2007

Probably to maintain customer buy-in. Not sure about AOL, but the others are very pervasive & bu**ers to get rid of, in my exp. Ppl might well think, 'sod it can't get rid of it, so I'll stick with it'.

wee eddie 21:16 29 Sep 2007

Probably since this Forum began.

I can remember that one of the first posts I read was from someone trying to get rid of AOL's embedded Software.

I can't remember how long ago that was but FE was known as China in those halcyon days and Flecc had stripped down '98 till it loaded in less than 5 seconds.

Marko797 21:17 29 Sep 2007

Bit before my time Eddie, but I'll take ur word for it :-)

rdave13 21:32 29 Sep 2007

Can't for the life of me see how to uninstall AOL is a problem. Done it a few times and have had no problems.
Even less now as AOL ain't the AOL it used to be.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:12 29 Sep 2007

I've never had a problem removing any of them../cough *add/remove programmes/ *cough

G

rdave13 22:23 29 Sep 2007

Stop smok'in,..cough, splatter..guffaw..gurgle; spit. Spittoon goes--'ding', or even 'doing' when the phlegm hits it.

Totally-braindead 22:43 29 Sep 2007

Never had bother with Nero, but never tried to remove Nero 7 so maybe thats different. Norton before they created the removal tool was a pain but is sorted now and AOL I've only removed a couple of times and have to say I found it fairly painless as well. Not completely painless as there were a couple of bits left over but not OTT.
Regarding Norton, they were asked years ago, before the creation of the removal tool what the reason was for the differculty people had removing it. Their answer was that they specifically designed Norton to integrate itself into the OS fully to protect the system from viruses and this subsequently had the undesired effect of making it differcult to remove.
Not saying the arguement they gave was true but when you think about it in that context it does make a kind of sense. However at the time I did wonder that if this was a true explanation of their reasoning then why did no other anti virus software exhibit the same problems.
Make your own mind up time I think.
Can't remember where I read it either as it was perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, it might even have been PCA who knows.

WhiteTruckMan 23:12 29 Sep 2007

as when some unrealising victim installed one of the 337 trillion aol install cd's that are evenly spread around the planet, they found that their computer would not connect to them via a modem. I never did find out what 'tests' aol did on the phone, just that they used to tell the poor saps the their modem was stuffed, and to contact their computer vendor who should supply them with a new one for free. Enter me, who would sometimes spend weeks fielding call after call on this, only to tell people that it was aol, and to prove it I set them up with a test account into an isp (that would only really access the home page, nothing else) and let them connect and see for themselves that the computer would work as advertised, and if they insisted on using such a service then on their own heads be it.

WTM

rdave13 23:44 29 Sep 2007

How times have changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?