Why have a security code on a card?

Z1100 12:11 27 Mar 2007

I just paid for my hosting with an on-line payment. During the transaction you are asked for the 3 digit security code. What good is that if 'the thief' has cloned your card or stolen it.

If I was cloning cards (an not petrified of the consequences) I would be taking a note of that number so how does it protect me?

Hanx!
K.

Stuartli 15:23 27 Mar 2007

But if someone has acquired your card number, but not the card, it cannot be used to order goods online unless the three-figure security code is provided.

Many firms will also only deliver to the cardholder's address.

spuds 15:36 27 Mar 2007

You may also find that some retailers using on-line services require extra passwords, and pin numbers before a card transaction will be accepted. As an example, Ebuyer use this procedure before confirming a purchase.

QuizMan 22:57 29 Mar 2007

It only protects against cloning. This is where the details of the magnetic strip are read and the card is duplicated from that info. The 3 digit security code does not form part of the magnetic strip info.

squillary 17:05 01 Apr 2007

On one occasion (a phone transaction) I was asked for these 3 digits and by mistake I gave the numbers from a different card.

Didn't make the slightest difference - the transaction went through...

What was the point of it again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017