Why has no one mentioned Wimbledon

Bingalau 22:59 05 Jul 2008

this year which has been pretty successful, good weather, good matches and a wonderful result for a young British girl. I'm hoping that maybe some of our other young girls can be inspired to be like her. Must be nice to be fourteen and have the world at your feet. Good luck Laura Robson.

dukeboxhero 23:32 05 Jul 2008

Its a great result Bingalau but we have a tennis club just round the corner from where we stay and my son and dauhter both joined but could only play when the 40 + players had finnished playing, So untill the tennis clubs here start letting our younge talent play more then we are going to be short of people like andy murray and Laura Robson in the future.

rdave13 23:32 05 Jul 2008

Not many tennis enthusiasts here then. Love all. Or is that duce?

dukeboxhero 23:33 05 Jul 2008

Sorry about the spelling but i have had a few bacardis

Coffee Adict 23:48 05 Jul 2008

I have been watching it, but found the womens tournament very boring this year. The mens final may be a better match tomorrow, but thats a reapeat of last year, at least there will be some eye candy for us female viewers, and I haven't had a baccardi.

There is a local park near me that I pass everyday on my walk to work that has two tennis courts, I have yet to see anyone use them old or young. I remember playing on them in my early teens, but I suppose it wouldn't be 'cool' to be seen walking in the street with a raquet, round here you would get stopped for having a dangerous weapon.

rdave13 23:56 05 Jul 2008

'that I pass everyday on my walk to work'. Lucky blighter! Not having to 'motor' to work is worth quite a few quid in a year.

Stuartli 00:02 06 Jul 2008

Been too busy watching it.

This afternoon I missed most of the women's final because of the absolutely hilarious antics in the men's senior doubles semi-final on Court One, featuring Henri Laconte and Mansour Bahram against Jeremy Bates and Anders Jarryd.

Henri and Mansour proved a complete riot and, fortunately, Bates and Jarryd, along with the umpire, fully played their part in the mischief that went on.

The tears were rolling down my face I was laughing so much and certainly the crowd had a ball as well.

If you get the chance to see a recording you'll not regret it...:-)

Bates and Jarryd got to the final by the way, despite the fact that their opponents also played some magnificent tennis.

Cymro. 09:48 06 Jul 2008

My wife who watches more of the tennis than I do tells me that young Laura Robson was in fact presented with the trophy twice. First of all immediately after the end of her winning match and on the court that the game was plaid on, and then again on centre court.

My wife tells me that this would not usually happen but as the winner was British a special presentation was made on centre court. I wish the young lady all the best in the world and just hope that the media will not go overboard at her winning as she will have enough media interest in her life as it is.

Bingalau 10:18 06 Jul 2008

Cymro. I heartily agree with your last sentence and hope they give her a break. But from the looks of it, that is not going to happen. They are already hounding the girl.

Forum Editor 10:20 06 Jul 2008

Laura seems to be quite at home with the media attention already, and considering her age she's very self possessed in interviews. Just as well, because if yesterday's performance was anything to go by we'll be hearing a great deal about her from now on.

€dstowe 10:38 06 Jul 2008

A few years ago a sports centre opened near to where my parents live lauding, amongst other things, superior tennis courts. Such was the interest shown, these are now covered with skateboard ramps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?