Why don't they give up on DAB?

wee eddie 15:36 01 Nov 2014

As far as I can see/hear the only thing it has going for it is hundreds of Stations, in particular, Radio 6 and Radio 4's Comedy Repeats.

However, what we have seems to be an anachronism.

Its Power Consumption is exactly the opposite of everything we have been asked to do for the last 10 years.

Its Time lag is explained by a plethora of pathetic excuses that not even a Tech Savvy 10 year old would accept.

Its quality of reproduction, at the top and bottom of the aural spectrum, is sorely lacking. It may be clear, but who wants to listen to a thin squeaky sound, regardless of how clear it is.

I know that there are areas that FM reception is poor or even bad, but that does not include the bathroom, or whichever place you go that has more than 4 inches of brick wall between you and the transmitter.

And finally, the equipment on offer, it's over priced, underspecified, and a shadow of what went before. Frequently saving on design work by stealing the creations of others in a futile attempt to gain kudos. Sorry, as an Homage to the Classic Designs of the Past!

They say that Australia's DAB+ is superior. I have no idea, as we are never likely to get it in the UK. The BBC has probably wasted more money on DAB than it did on that useless Database of Past Productions

Pine Man 15:59 01 Nov 2014

I have a Sony DAB mains radio indoors which I have used everyday for years without a problem and my car, which is now about a year old, is fitted with a DAB radio and that has worked perfectly wherever I have been.

I really can't see a problem.

Batch 16:02 01 Nov 2014

Have to say I agree with your sentiments.

I live in Sutton, a little under 6 miles (direct) from Crystal Palace transmitter (one of the more powerful ones). Upstairs in my house the reception is quite good (I can actually see the lights on transmitter towers at night from the rear upstairs windows). But downstairs it is patchy to say the least (I have several Revo DAB receivers and a Roberts receiver and they are all the same).

If I have these sort of problems what hope to people further afield have!

Also the dynamic range of music is pretty poor. Hardly surprising give the low bit rates that are used for transmissions. JazzFM is 80kbps, Absolute 60s is 64kbps and even Radio 2 is a lowly 128kbps. Radio 3 scrapes in with 160kbps which is really the absolute minimum that should be used with the DAB implementation that we have. But nothing is going to change.

What concerns me most is the idea of turning off FM, which is far superior (both in quality and reception) to the DAB that we have.

Al94 16:40 01 Nov 2014

I agree with Pineman - no reception problems with several DAB radios at home and in the car. Sound quality is adequate on Sony, Pure and Roberts - less so on other equipment but you get what you pay for.

Yes, bitrates need improvement but I understand BBC is trialling Dab+ which if it comes will be an improvement if you have the equipment to receive it.

bremner 16:52 01 Nov 2014

I live in a very rural area. I cannot get 3G let alone 4G. I get about 3Mb broadband at the very best and 2Mb as a norm. AM radio is hopeless.

However I get great DAB both in the house and in my car.

Do I care about bit rates, of course not, I get clear crackle & interference free stations from around the country.

morddwyd 18:37 01 Nov 2014

I went to DAB because FM reception is non-existent here. DAB is also available along just about the whole length of the A9 whereas FM is very patchy and useless for traffic reports.

I now use internet radios at home, but DAB is the only choice for the car.

Devil Fish 20:04 01 Nov 2014

Love my Dab good sound quality no interference listening to 5 live on it as i type.

wee eddie 21:27 01 Nov 2014

Ah well, I seem to be cast as a lonely audiophile.

To me this is just another example of the BBC dumbing down and most of the population don't appear to care.

Luckily for me, by the time the change - over occurs, my ears will be too old to tell

rdave13 21:47 01 Nov 2014

wee eddie I agree with you. In my neck of the woods Radio 4 is only usable via long wave in the car. FM fades out because of the rather large hills we have at our location. FM second best while travelling. DAB a non-entity.

Quickbeam 07:52 03 Nov 2014

"Why don't they give up on DAB?"

'cause there's hundreds of thousands of happy listeners like me that see DAB a a godsend alternative to the ubiquitous local radio banality output!

Quickbeam 07:57 03 Nov 2014

...yes, technically there can be improvements. But the technical deficiencies are vastly outweighed by getting 5Live with clear speech, dozens of music stations that use a play list that spans 6 decades compared to 6 weeks and the ability for the BBC to output major sports commentaries on temporary extra stations giving the choice to listen to the test match, the football, the rugby or athletics.

The answer is choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?