Why don't AOL take direct debit?

CurlyWhirly 08:20 31 Jul 2004

I am currently paying my monthly broadband subscription with my debit card which is due to expire soon.
I have rang up AOL and asked if I can change my payment plan to direct debit but they say I can't!
I am wondering whether it has anything to do with me banking with an internet bank as opposed to the high street?
I wanted to change to direct debit as I have heard stories that if you want to cancel your contract with AOL you will find it hard as a direct debit is much easier to cancel than a debit card payment?
Any one else have trouble like this?
CW

Valvegrid 08:41 31 Jul 2004

That's the problem paying by debit card, you aren't as well protected as you are with a credit card, with a debit card your bank won't stop the payments, as highlighted on one of the TV docs recently.

When I was on AOL5 all those years ago I used to pay my subs by credit card, will they not accept that now? If they don't, I think I'd pull out PDQ, which is a shame if you like AOL's system.

CurlyWhirly 08:46 31 Jul 2004

Valvegrid

I agree with you entirely!
By the way what does PDQ mean?
CW

Dorsai 08:58 31 Jul 2004

PDQ = P ritty D amn Q uick.

CurlyWhirly 09:07 31 Jul 2004

Dorsai

I have successfully given them my credit card details so I should be better protected now!
I don't know why I didn't think of this before!
Cheers for the PDQ explanation!
CW

picklesy 08:01 01 Aug 2004

been with aol for about 3 years and alway,s paid by direct debit,don,t know why you can,t.

CurlyWhirly 17:28 01 Aug 2004

Picklesy

AOL said that they don't deal with online banking accounts. I am with Cahoot - don't know why though!
CW

Valvegrid 17:50 01 Aug 2004

Tee Hee! Sounds a bit comical, one of the biggest Internet suppliers in the world won't deal with on-line banking, I can see the irony of that :-D

CurlyWhirly 21:49 01 Aug 2004

Valvegrid

Tee Hee! Sounds a bit comical, one of the biggest Internet suppliers in the world won't deal with on-line banking, I can see the irony of that

My sentiments exactly!
Ironic eh?
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?