Why do we get so upset when a pet dies?

pj123 15:04 09 Jul 2007

Sorry all, bit subdued today. One of the two cats we rescued 13 years ago has had to be put down today.

They were brothers from the same litter, so I hope the one we have now doesn't pine too much.

Stuartli 15:13 09 Jul 2007

Because pets integrate into our life and lifestyle.

It's very hard to take, but time proves a great healer; I know exactly what you are going through.

However, I've never fully understood those who immediately go out and acquire a replacement.

lisa02 15:20 09 Jul 2007

Why do we get so upset when a pet dies?

I'm sorry to hear about your cat dying but the question is an obvious one. After so many years of looking after them you become attached, we're human - we feel, and some of us have a soft spot for animals. Any one with a background in psychology?

My beloved hamster, Spencer, is like one of the children with his own personality and all.

Kate B 15:42 09 Jul 2007

Because we love them. I'm very sorry, pj123, to hear about your cat.

I think it's hard with animals because we can't rationalise with them about why they're ill, what we're doing to help them feel better etc - they just suffer inchoately and we can't communicate to them that we're doing everything we can. It adds helplessness to the mix of worry and grief.

Jak_1 16:06 09 Jul 2007

Because for those of us that do have pets they are part of our families and are an integral part of our daily lives.

pj123 16:06 09 Jul 2007

Hope this works.

Here he is. This photo was taken in 2002.

click here

Kate B 16:11 09 Jul 2007

What a lovely, handsome cat. You must miss him horribly. I'm so very sorry.

SB23 16:14 09 Jul 2007

I'm sorry aswell pj123.

I'm a cat lover too, and it gets me everytime, however "butch" I think I am. But when it comes to the cats wellbeing, I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

Steve

pj123 16:22 09 Jul 2007

Both of them are listed as being "British Blacks".

Our two were named Ollie and Stanley for obvious reasons. Ollie was the one in the picture and was put down today.

I am now looking for a picture of Stanley.

jimv7 16:26 09 Jul 2007

Stuartli,

I have never got another dog after 1 has passed on, people seem to take a long time to forgive the new personality of the replacement.

Thats why I have always had 2 or 3 shepherds, get a pup long before the old timer goes, then there is no comparison between the loss and the new puppy.

Quickbeam 16:31 09 Jul 2007

Because they are a birth until death commitment.

It's also a two way street. We look on them as a permanent companion around the house, and they in turn, are dependent on us for their life needs. When an owner dies, a pet can also be in consolable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?