Why Codec Packs are Bad.

BRYNIT 00:24 01 Aug 2009

I found this on another forum. Its an interesting read on codec packs and what they could do to your computer. click here

wolfie3000 00:37 01 Aug 2009

Codec packs are not evil or bad,
You just have to know how to use them.

With the many different video and audio formats around they are essential,

I would rather install a codec package than hunt around for each individual codec.

Plus the packages like K-Lite give extra tools to make sure there are no conflicts with other codecs already installed.

Not a single one of those comments would stop me using / recommending codec packs.

rdave13 09:56 01 Aug 2009

So far I've been using the K-Lite pack on all of the PCs I have, for some considerable time, which allows WMP to play all types of videos without trouble. I shall bear in mind the warning if I do get some problems at a later date.

Stuartli 10:30 01 Aug 2009

I've also been using the K-Lite codecs pack for a number of years - nothing untoward has so far resulted.

OTT_Buzzard 10:37 01 Aug 2009

I can understand the point of the article but it lacks a suggestion for a better solution.

Armchair 10:44 01 Aug 2009

yet they've been installed and worked okay in the past. Having read that, I wonder if the K-Lite Codec Pack could be the problem. Can't remember when or why I installed it.

DieSse 11:22 01 Aug 2009

".....a suggestion for a better solution."

Try VLC media player. click here

DieSse 11:24 01 Aug 2009

"....nothing untoward has so far resulted."

Well it looks like you are probably running pirated software, according to the author. You might consider that untoward.

Incidentally it's worth reading through some of the links to similar articles/blogs. I found it all very illuminating.

sunnystaines 11:32 01 Aug 2009

worth reading the link its handy to know bad points about codecs. With my set ups XP played everything but vista is a pain with some dvd,s often the free ones in papers, since using K-Lite pack vista has been kicked into touch.

but any future problems its worth knowing the points made re codecs.

Armchair 12:11 01 Aug 2009

I uninstalled the K-Lite Codec Pack, saying yes to all enquiries about deleting corrupted registry entries, re-started my PC, then re-installed Risk II. Haven't played Risk II for ages, because it normally freezes on the first loading screen and I haven't been able to do anything about it. Now it runs. One of my favourite games back.

Hopefully, the similarly afflicted Medal of Honor Allied Assault will also now run. It crashes on start-up, even though it's also been installed and worked previously. Already traded in the third game (Act of War).

Over the Moon!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?