Whoo hoo! We now own another 'asset'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:40 14 Oct 2008

Well, I feel as rich as Rockerfeller.

Not only do I have a share in teh banks and building societies but I now have a share in the Olympic Village. The Goverment announced tonight that it will be using £100 million of taxpayer's money to fund the Olympic Village as private investors have decided that it is not a terribly good bet and have jumped ship in droves. The fianl price could rise to £1 billion...click here

I am over the moon that the Government decided against using taxpayers money to buy the power and water companies but have instead invested it in a dead cert. I am a little concerned that the usually gobby Coe and the rest of the bewildered Olympic Trust seem to have not made a statement yet...fear of lynching perhaps?

Brian Rix, have you put your pen to paper yet?

G

peter99co 22:47 14 Oct 2008

When does the opposition attempt a vote of no confidence? Because it is possible that we have a repeat of the boy on the burning deck senario.

Stuartli 22:52 14 Oct 2008

I feel really sorry for that poor taxpayer..:-)

newman35 23:59 14 Oct 2008

Ah, the good old apostrophe, one 'place' out - well spotted.

Pity our leaders weren't as careful with our money!!

TopCat® 00:01 15 Oct 2008

Tut, tut, what a commotion about a small amount of taxpayers' money. You can read this - click here - and find they could be moving some events to save money.

Isn't that nice of them to be so considerate at a time like this? :o) TC.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:22 15 Oct 2008

*cough* when denoting a singular body as in the taxpayer', the apostrophe is correct...click here ;-) taxpayer can be singular as in a body or plural (taxpayers) as in individuals. I blame the lack of SATS tests. *cough*

G

laurie53 07:40 15 Oct 2008

I think you're mistaken.

If El Gordo has`approved it then it must be a sound scheme.

We all know he is the world's financial saviour!

interzone55 09:29 15 Oct 2008

The opposition will not attempt a vote of no confidence because there is no way on earth that either the Liberals or Conservatives have the experience or skill-sets to dig us out of the mess that various banks have made.

To give Golden Brown his due, he has a very sound financial mind, and seems to be doing good work at the moment. We'll all have our chance to comment on his premiership when the next General Election is called sometime between May 09 & May 10...

WhiteTruckMan 10:09 15 Oct 2008

"To give Golden Brown his due, he has a very sound financial mind"

To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced of that. I believe he's just had a damn good run of good luck, starting with inheriting a healthy economy at the beginning of a lengthy boom period. And it looks like the luck has run out. I think Blair possibly saw something coming, or realised he'd ridden a winning horse for long enough which is why he bailed out.

But GB doesnt have the golden touch, unless you count what he did to make our gold reserves disappear.

WTM

Seth Haniel 10:13 15 Oct 2008

and asked only the people who had the slightest interest in the olympics to foot the bill ;(

Weskit 10:40 15 Oct 2008

Just to labour the point, which individual "taxpayer" is it who is referred to?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?