Who should foot the bill for the Sandy Bridge recall?

PC Advisor 15:41 02 Feb 2011

Yesterday Intel was obliged to halt shipments of chipsets carrying its Sandy Bridge processors, after a problem was discovered that could cause PCs to fail.

Assuming a full recall takes place, who do you think should foot the bill?

Have your say in the poll in the lefthand column, and read the full story here:

click here

kidsis 16:13 02 Feb 2011

hi, I voted for the pc manufacturers because I'm thinking of the individuals who have already taken delivery of pc's with this new chipset, and their contract is with the 'manufacturer' , ie the company whose name is on the pc, via the shop where the purchase took place. Obviously the original fault lies with the chipset manufacturer who should be ultimately responsible and should reimburse the manufacturer.

johndrew 16:29 02 Feb 2011

The cost should feed down to Intel from PC users, PC suppliers and motherboard manufacturers - probably through that route.

If Intel have a claim on any sub-contractors that is down to them to resolve.

All a bit like BP being the prime contractor at the time of the blowout in the Gulf.

TopCat® 16:29 02 Feb 2011

apparently have had quite good financial results. click here

What irks me more personally though is the fact that I cannot upgrade my recently new computer to the new cpus. The socket pin count is different (again) so it would mean a new motherboard for me. :o( TC.

rickf 17:28 02 Feb 2011

I think claim from the retail outlets and Intel to compensate them. This makes it straight forward for the consumer.

Forum Editor 17:33 02 Feb 2011

and consumer protection legislation says that the retailers are liable for any hardware faults which render the computer 'not fit for purpose'.

If a recall is issued, computers would be returned to retailers for replacement of the affected component, in the same way that cars are returned to dealers when there's a factory recall.

How the mechanics of the operation are handled between Intel and the sellers is up to them, it's not the consumers' problem, although there would inevitably be inconvenience and frustration if large numbers of computers are involved.

OTT_B 17:46 02 Feb 2011

Is there really any question of Intel footing the cost of replacement hardware?
But i'd like to know if they intend compensating retailers for having to repair stock already out in the market, or possible lost sales (from cancelled orders, for expample) as a result of this.

WhiteTruckMan 21:31 02 Feb 2011

I think I would like to know just whose 'bill' we are talking about here before I cast my vote.

The end users bill?

The pc manufacturers bill?

The board manufacturers bill?

Anyone else who thinks they can get-rich-quick by suing someone's bill?

WTM

spuds 23:16 02 Feb 2011

Who should foot the bill, is surely obvious. The company that made the initial mistake.

Matt Egan 09:13 03 Feb 2011

but the logistics are frightening. The channel will be unable to sell existing stock, customers will have to return desktop PCs and laptops, and the PC makers will have to replace the boards (getting new boards from, well, somewhere). If this is not handled well it will put real pressure on the PC makers, and lead to a lot of disgruntled customers.

click here&

johndrew 09:49 03 Feb 2011

"If this is not handled well it will put real pressure on the PC makers, and lead to a lot of disgruntled customers."

And this should all be fed back to Intel as a cost in much the same way as the BP costs were/are/will be.

Corporations that wish to dominate a market, or even 'own' a large part of it, have a responsibility of a similar magnitude when their actions or omissions directly affect others. The sooner this is enshrined in international law the better as there will be no 'grey' areas (hopefully) and all parties will know where the 'buck' stops.

It may of course cause the less competent to fail as businesses, but this may not be a bad thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?