Who has a Second Life?

realist 20:10 07 Jun 2007

I keep hearing about online games like "Second Life". The current Radio 4 Book at Bedtime is "Second Lives" by Tim Guest.

Anyone any first-hand experience of these games? (Please not the blood and gore variety).

Are these communities worth the trouble and expense of signing-up/making an avatar/learning the ropes?

SANTOS7 20:19 07 Jun 2007

click here

Are these communities worth the trouble and expense of signing-up/making an avatar/learning the ropes?

Only you can really decide that...

looks to me a bit like ON-LINE sims..

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:22 07 Jun 2007

There is a lot of hype about the communities and personally I find them somewhat creepy. Most people have enough to do with one life and trying to live another 'virtual' life would set my alarm bells a-ringing. Why anyone would want to spend hours acting as someone else, on a computer generated world is totally beyond me and does worry me slightly. However, each to their own, and if it is not costing much then get on with it. click here is a fairly succinct explanation.

wolfie3000 13:45 08 Jun 2007

Second life is pure escapism, Not creepy at all,

Try it GANDALF you might be surprised.

But i must admit some people do take the game/community a little to seriously.

Quickbeam 13:47 08 Jun 2007

more realistic than this...?

i still havnt got my head round 2nd life, im 39 my brother is 10 years older and he is on there evry second of everyday, met his girlfriend on there and many friends has built a city, i just find it hard going and miss the fighting in other games, have played wow for nearly a year, and that has many role playing realms in which everyone takes things very seriously and kick you out of guilds if you use real names etc. i think that is a bit too much! in my guild there is a mom dad and their son who play, all at the same time!! i cant imagine that household has many conversations but each to their own.
i do feel these games seem to rob me of something (a life?) but they keep me out of trouble i suppose, i lost my dad some years ago but i can hear his disapproval now! never let me sit in front of the tv when i was young and i dont think he would understand sitting in front of a pc speaking into a headset for 5 hours a healthy active life!

Mike D 14:56 08 Jun 2007

Oh God, I hope it doesn't become compulsory, I have enough trouble with this one.

Mike

Managing ed 11:09 13 Jul 2007

Call me a cynic, but some of these people need to get first lives!

click here

Simsy 11:26 13 Jul 2007

GANDALF <|:-)> means when he says, "There is a lot of hype about the communities and personally I find them somewhat creepy.", but, to be honest, isn't it a bit like this forum, and the feeling that the folk in "cyberland" that we help and "chat to" in speakers corner are our "freinds"

That's not meant as a criticism of the observation, just pointing out a different perspective.

Regards.

Simsy

monkeyboy21 11:37 13 Jul 2007

the difference being on this forum we discuss and chat about real life problems and require real life help back in the real world....

crosstrainer 11:49 13 Jul 2007

One of these games result in a murder a while back? A player wanted a particular weapon, powerup and killed (not virtually..really) an online player.

Don't play online games myself, tried FEAR once, and the sprightly teenagers saw me off in seconds!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?