Who Do You Turn To For Direction?

riiverstock 17:37 15 Apr 2007

Keeping in with the recent threads on commentaries,if you use a SatNav,do you set it to the male or female voice.

Every driver,including the women,in my family prefer the male voice.
The femail voice instructing one to turn back as soon as possible might be a factor!

Not sure?

Bingalau 17:41 15 Apr 2007

Male. My wife doesn't drive but every now and then reminds me of something. So having two females talking at the same time would be very distracting.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:55 15 Apr 2007

I don't get lost!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:03 15 Apr 2007

AA Road atlas, £3.99 with 5 gallons of motion lotion+a little knowledge of the geography/road system of the UK, which is not rocket science. Never failed me yet.

G

riiverstock 18:20 15 Apr 2007

I suppose the local Aldi run doesn't require directions.

pj123 18:49 15 Apr 2007

As with Mr Mistoffelees and GANDALF <|:-)> I use maps and atlas. I also have MS Autoroute and just print out the directions from there. I also don't get lost.

I know where London, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Brighton, Dover etc are, I don't need a Satnav to tell me.

Forum Editor 19:03 15 Apr 2007

and private houses that I've never been to before, and tom be honest a Satnav makes it a piece of cake - I can sit back and drive, whilst Jane (for it is she I prefer) tells me precisely how to get there.

She hasn't failed me yet - a postcode is all she needs.

The Brigadier 19:08 15 Apr 2007

I must admit to owning a map for most counties in the UK.
That coupled with SatNav as a back up i seldom get lost.
That said i do prefer to look on a map more though.

Forum Editor 19:09 15 Apr 2007

I know where those cities are too, and I've driven in London for many years - I know the city pretty well.

Give me a street address in the suburbs however, and I guarantee my satnav will get me there faster than you ever could with your maps and atlas. I'll be warned about traffic jams and every speed camera along the way, and I won't have to stop, or take my eyes off the road for a second.

It will do the same for me in France or Italy, or any of the countries in Europe I'm likely to visit. I just whack it onto the windscreen of the hire car and drive.

To my mind there's not a single valid argument in favour of using a map in preference to a satnav

riiverstock 19:11 15 Apr 2007

pj123 but do you know where No.10 OutOfTown Gardens is?

I'm with the busy FE.

SB23 19:15 15 Apr 2007

I'm with Mr Mistoffelees on this one. I've always used my road atlas, which I update, every few years. I've been up and down the country, and never been lost, well not yet!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017