Who decides these things?

Colin 19:15 12 Jul 2010

The words used by newsreaders and the media, I mean. Instead of the usual rocketing, soaring or plummeting, their current favourites seem to be eye watering or jaw dropping. On a similar note, the BBC newsreaders in particular, are adding ridiculous facial expressions and head/hand movements to their broadcast to instil their take on the subject. e.g. Fiona Bruce. She looks like she’s controlling an invisible puppet or trying a new robotic dance.
I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I find that I can’t watch the news for more than 5 minutes without wanting to put my foot through the TV. A lot of articles are so dramatic, yet a couple of days later you hear no more about it. I suppose that’s the world we live in now, people having to shout louder and be more demonstrative to get people’s attention.

OTT_B 19:23 12 Jul 2010

Think you might have hit the nail on the head. Everything has to be urgent with explosive potential to get, and keep, the attention of the masses. I've noticed the same thing developing over the last year or two (notably and annoyingly, with Robert Peston)

Colin 19:28 12 Jul 2010

OTT_B - I agree with you about Robert Peston. Annoying little sod!

Forum Editor 19:32 12 Jul 2010

for the news stories to be spiced up with a few gratuitous graphics. A story about the Chancellor axing a public spending project might be accompanied by a silly image of an axe chopping up and down; it's as if the news editors think we might not understand the story unless we're given intelligence-insulting animations to make it all quite clear.

I can understand a desire to 'hook' the audience to the news broadcast, so we don't start channel hopping, and that's what's behind the selection of certain presenters. I don't want to be sexist here, but people like Louisa Preston aren't chosen entirely on the basis of their journalistic talents.

Fiona Bruce is the consummate professional, and I imagine her facial expressions have been analysed by millions, as have her clothes, and pretty well every aspect of her news presentation. She's used to it, and I think she does pretty well.

Trying to fill a nightly news programme with interesting and meaningful content must be an absolute nightmare, and of course when the story isn't that interesting the audience's attention wanders. "I wonder where she got those earrings" is not an uncommon comment in our house at around ten o'clock.

Forum Editor 19:35 12 Jul 2010

That "annoying little sod" is one of the most respected financial editors in the business. We can't all be Mr. personality plus, I for one would rather have some authoritative financial analysis any day. I can live with a bit of eccentricity.

john bunyan 19:41 12 Jul 2010

All this is why I prefer to listen to the news and many current affairs programmes on Radio 4.

Colin 19:52 12 Jul 2010

He may be "one of the most respected financial editors in the business" but he still comes over as smug and arrogant with a whiny, irritating voice. I wouldn't call him eccentric at all.

john 52 19:57 12 Jul 2010

Colin

He may be "one of the most respected financial editors in the business" but he still comes over as smug and arrogant with a whiny, irritating voice.

With those credentials he should be a politician then ??

morddwyd 20:12 12 Jul 2010

Must agree with the FE re Robert Peston.

He might not have the best presentation but he's usually got the most incisive analysis.

At least one report at the depth of the banking crisis blamed him for making things worse with the accuracy of his reports.

jack 20:13 12 Jul 2010

I guess .
With Robert Peston I suspect. it is a variant of a stutter- or even his way of getting around one.

The thing that winds me up is 'Officialese'
where an individual is reading from a prepared statement/script- usually for fear of
1. - the speaker may say something unintended or even slanderous.
2. the speaker is unused to public address.

So I suppose then those who prepare the script may take a course in play-writing so that the piece may sound as it is spoken rather than quoted.
The other thing that winds me up is when Police/Fire Brigade/ Union officials adopt that ponderous tone of speech- for presumably the same above reasons.

Then there are those annoying catch phrases
We are all used to or perhaps even guilty of ourselves

'KnowwhatImean?- Innit- Sh rite[Thats's right]

But to days howler is to me ' Oh Verymuchso'

And why do politicians - when they are allowed to get a response in by the interviewer - always start with 'Well'?

jack 20:17 12 Jul 2010

Is Mrs FE aware of this?
Mind you - You and me both

;-}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017