White Van man to be studied....

Seth Haniel 16:26 02 Jul 2009
  Forum Editor 18:09 02 Jul 2009

I've failed to see the point of your post.

dagnammit 18:20 02 Jul 2009

highlighting a news article for WhiteTruckMan?

:D

Colin 19:14 02 Jul 2009

All I know about White Van Man from radio adverts is that they all sound like Ray Winstone. Why does a driver of a commercial vehicle have to speak with an East London/Essex accent and look hard?

Jim Thing 19:25 02 Jul 2009

"Why does a driver of a commercial vehicle have to speak with an East London/Essex accent and look hard?"

And why do all the baddies in Western movies wear black hats?

Same reason — it's to help those who can't follow the plot.

laurie53 07:54 03 Jul 2009

This is a deeply rooted psychological thing.

When I was part time taxiing a few years ago I sometimes used to get a "white van" job with a Ford Transit (it really was white!) ferrying stuff to various freight agents around Heathrow (from Aylesbury).

As soon as I got into that van I changed from an average normally courteous, generally law abiding driver into an aggressive, foul mouthed (and gestured!) lump of unpleasantness.

My wife and son once saw me taking a roundabout and didn't believe it was me!

Kevscar1 10:18 03 Jul 2009

laurie53
Thats just your inner self finally showing. I have driven one for 15yrs and find that when I do something courteous other van and lorry drivers acknowledge it 90% of the time with car drivers it,s less than 50%

Quickbeam 11:51 03 Jul 2009

Maybe there thinking about a 'white van man driver NVQ'. I kid you not...

Taxi/private hire drivers are now taking the taxi NVQ in anticipation of most local authorities requiring drivers to have it. New PSV/HGV drivers will be required to have a driver CPC (certificate of professional competence)from September, with existing licence holders being required to get one over the next few years.

JanetO 12:31 03 Jul 2009

I think the wording "often unloved by motorists, pedestrians and regulators", means hopefully the more careless white van drivers would be given further training. I know our own WhiteManVan is a careful driver, just like my eldest daughter was when she was one, but some aren't. They shoot down our 20mph road at over 30.

peter99co 12:42 03 Jul 2009

Maybe a thin end of a wedge for a complete new stealh tax.

Seth Haniel 12:43 03 Jul 2009

you must be...

as other members have found it worth discussing ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?