which books did you learn to read with

sunny staines 06:11 25 Jul 2007

when i was at school it was "janet and john books and little sambo"

when my daughter was at school it was meg the hen and the fox books"

whats your memories of your first learning to read books.

€dstowe 05:36 27 Apr 2007

My first book at an extremely young age was an alphabet book made of cloth so it was not easy to tear. I can just remember it, some time before I started school.

When I started school I am told that I could write my name and enough of my address to be able to find the house.

m800afc 08:46 25 Jul 2007

The Ladybird books and "The Water Babies - Kingsley"

Stuartli 09:27 25 Jul 2007

I don't really know in my case as I was reading from the age of four - in fact I was given dispensation at my local library to obtain a borrower's ticket as the starting age was five.

As it was war time, it would probably have been difficult to obtain books any other way in quantity as I managed a book a day on average.

Many years later my parents told me I could also tell the time at that early age.

Seth Haniel 09:28 25 Jul 2007

if my memory can stretch that far back

Al94 09:41 25 Jul 2007

Janet & John rings a bell!

Kate B 10:17 25 Jul 2007

oh, the Ladybird books, Topsy and Tim, Pookie the Rabbit With Wings and one about a forest, the name of which I can't remember. Loved them. I could read before I went to school, too.

Bingalau 11:16 25 Jul 2007

Yes I also was reading before I went to school. What I want to know is why can't youngsters leaving school read at all.

Totally-braindead 13:00 25 Jul 2007

Not a clue I'm afraid but I do have fond memories of reading the Ladybird books at primary school.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:25 25 Jul 2007

The earliest that I can remember where the Little Nemo cartoon strips by Winsor McCay at around 2-3 years old, then R.L.Stevensons 'A Childs' Garden of Verses'.

G

€dstowe 16:51 25 Jul 2007

Is there something wrong here?

I didn't initiate this thread, in fact my reply was quite a way down from previous contributors. I notice also that my post is now dated Fri, 27/04/[email protected]:36 when, in fact I posted this afternoon and, even though I am usually up and around at that hour, I'm not on line then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017