Which Bit Do You Not Understand?

morddwyd 08:15 23 Jan 2015

E-Mail to BT

"It is no use trying to telephone me because, I repeat, I am unable to use the telephone. That is why I use e-mail. "

Reply from BT

"............ and we understood your problem. Kindly write us back with your available mobile number to contact you."

Duh!

onthelimit1 08:34 23 Jan 2015

:-)

john bunyan 09:18 23 Jan 2015

I have a somewhat similar problem with British Gas; my wife does not want to be an "On line" customer and send readings in case, one day, I am not around. When they ask for a reading by e mail format and you try to reply "I am not an on line customer" it gets rejected.

BT 11:17 23 Jan 2015

Kindly write us back with your available mobile number to contact you.

They could of course use this to send you Text messages.

Belatucadrus 11:18 23 Jan 2015

A month or so ago I had a problem with BT e-mail, so I used an alternate e-mail address to report the issue. Their response was to send an e-mail me to the address I couldn't access a request for a phone number so that we could "fix the issue by going through voice interaction" Fortunately the problem went away thus allowing me to savour their rather stupid request.

Brumas 13:02 23 Jan 2015

morddwyd, you might have to brush up on your semaphore ;o}

morddwyd 19:20 23 Jan 2015

Would you believe I'm actually of a vintage that did that as part of general training!

bumpkin 19:25 23 Jan 2015

Why don't you give them a ring:-)

john bunyan 19:36 23 Jan 2015

Would you believe I'm actually of a vintage that did that as part of general training

Ditto in RM in '50's - already learned it in Cubs in 1946.....

Morse also, hardly taught now as secure voice obviates the need of the old One Time Pads.

bumpkin 19:40 23 Jan 2015

Without wishing to be nosey or offensive, if you can type an Email why can you not use a telephone.

john bunyan 20:20 23 Jan 2015

Before I retired - 17 years ago - we had a 4 screen workstation which had a key on a single keyboard to switch between main frame, PC and Reuter. The other screen was a touch screen telephone and we had headsets and could use 2 telephones. I am not sure if , these days, such a (simplified) touch screen telephone system is available but I can imagine some issues that may preclude speech as a medium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?