Which is better, AVG or Avast?

anchor 10:28 23 Feb 2006

Of these two free anti-virus programmes which do members consider the better?.

SANTOS7 10:35 23 Feb 2006

yuo would probably get the same amount of response for both, I use AVG can't fault it, try them both (not at same time) and go with the one you like best....

rmcqua 10:43 23 Feb 2006

Nothing much to choose between them. Depends on personal preference and which user interface you like.

Totally-braindead 11:07 23 Feb 2006

I've put Avast on a friends PC because it had problems with AVG, why I don't know. They are happy with it so thats fine. I personally use AVG but which is better? I haven't a clue.
I've got AVG have been using it for some time and like it, perhaps if I'd tried Avast first I'd be a fan of it.

bosmere 12:08 23 Feb 2006

I had problems with AVG (compatibility I seem to remember) so changed to Avast - now no problems and no viruses.

ade.h 15:22 23 Feb 2006

Although I have put Avast on a few PCs, I have only briefly used it myself (transition between F-Secure and NOD32 on my desktop PC).

It frequently refused to update itself because "your licence has expired". This, from the free version that had been installed for about a week! It would clear itself, then the fault would be back again in a day or two.

Kind of soured my opinion of it.

ade.h 16:23 23 Feb 2006

Yes, of course.

Didn't make much difference, though. It would forget that it was registered, then it would remember, and then it would forget again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?