Where's theirs blame, theirs a claim?

def90csw 16:10 19 Oct 2006

So is it right to sue if something goes wrong?

spuds 16:14 19 Oct 2006

All depends. Best to try and resolve things amicably perhaps!.

doveys 16:15 19 Oct 2006

Well..ummm. I think much has to do with the particular event in question. Is tere a particular incident in mind?

Cymro. 17:29 19 Oct 2006

A solicitor will probably tell you to sue, he does not care if you can get blood from a stone or not. He will just make sure that he gets his fee.

Forum Editor 18:53 19 Oct 2006

that's obsessed with litigation and compensation. Almost the first thought that springs to mind when we suffer any kind of a misfortune is "Can I get compensation?"

Of course there are occasions when a wrong is so wrong or a loss so great that suing someone is the answer, but surely that should be the exception rather than the rule shouldn't it?

Life sometimes dishes out the odd knock, and surviving such things is what builds character. Teach people that someone is always finacially liable when trouble comes along and you create a 'me first' culture, where everyone is out for what he/she can get. I don't want to live in such a society, but I doubt that I have much choice - greed is very much the name of the game, it seems.

Cymro. 19:26 19 Oct 2006

There was a time when a worker could suffer terrible injuries and even death without any compensation. That was all very, very wrong but today things seem at times to have swung too much the other way, with people suing for the least little thing whether there is blame or not. No wonder they call some lawyers ambulance chasers.

Jak_1 20:27 19 Oct 2006

In a lot of cases small to medium sized companies just pay up because it is cheaper than going through all the leagal wranglings. There was a case I was involved in recently where a co-worker twisted his ankle, entirely his own fault and someone put the idea into his head that he could get thousands out of the company! This co-worker refused the offer of transport to casualty and went against all medical advice. Numerous other things were against him also but he went ahead and tried to sue for a six figure sum. Our company being as spineless as it is settled out of court though the princlely sum was less than £200. They paid just because it happened on company property but were in no way to blame.

lisa02 23:29 19 Oct 2006

I only ever claimed compensation once...

I was bitten by an alsation dog on the arm whilst working for a company, I sued the dog owner and won. I probably in all honesty would not have taken him to court if he hadn't have yelled foul language at me and threw me off his property...

I was left standing in the rain bleeding and in agony waiting for my boss to arrive to take me to casualty.

It cost him £4,000 for his nastiness.

spuds 11:22 20 Oct 2006

"All depends.Best to try and resolve things amicably perhaps!".

But sometimes this doe's not work, then people get accused of adopting the American way. A few years ago people of lower income never had the chance of trying to claim compensation, the legal fees were far to high, as was trying to get help on these sort of problems and events. In the early days, how many people had to work in what we now class as in-human practices. I recall leaving school, and working in an environment of daily high noise, asbestos and working conditions and practices that would never be entertained by health and safety laws nowadays. Some of the problems from that era are now beginning to surface, and the 'ambulance chasers' as they are being called, are now offering an option of claiming compensation, if at all practical.Okay, these 'ambulance chasers' may get a rich fee if successful, but so will humanity, if wrongs are put right, whether in cash form or otherwise.

Greed can be twofold, from the fraudulent claim, to the wealthy boss or company, who have very little consideration to their employees and other persons, profit is the main motivator at all costs. There are still 'sweat shops' out there, were the boss's still treats people, as though they were living in the Victorian times. But you may well find, that people still working in these environments are for one reason or another, to frightened to take any steps for a redress of a serious matter, perhaps resulting in injury either physically or otherwise.

Yesterday, there was a programme on Channel 4 about road repairs and problems. One particular point was mentioned regarding how long it should take for the likes of uneven or broken pavement or road repairs to be notified as requiring attention and completion of the work, as a statutory right. The targets are not being met, and this could result in someone 'falling' over an uneven kerbstone, with the result of a damaged limb. Something that could result in a life threatening situation. Yet how many council's constantly inform the public, that to make a claim against them is wrong, because it is taking money from your fellow tax payers. A typical example in my area, is the fact that the council employ people who sole job is to go around and mark area's that require urgent remedial repair work. A report is duly made out, yet month's later, the markings have faded, and no repairs have been done. The problem as not become a situation of self repair. Complaint to the council and the local councilor, is like talking to the wind, it get's heard, but it then blows away, and very little is done. So on that basis, the change of compensation mania, is perhaps a good thing!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017