Where is your favourite getaway and why?

Legolas 14:51 19 May 2007

Where is your favourite getaway and why?

My favourite getaway is the Isle of Arran off the West coast of Scotland. I can be there in a couple of hours from my home In Paisley. I have been visiting Arran for years and have cycled and walked round this smallish island many times (Approx 56m miles round)

Why I like it so much is quite hard to put into words, it is only an hours sail from Ardrossan but it is like stepping into another world, very peaceful and away from the mad rush that at times we all get caught up in. There is also an abundance of good walks ranging from less than a mile to whatever.

One of the favourite walks on Arran is up Goat Fell the highest mountain on the Island at 2867ft (not quite a munro)quite easy if you are reasonable fit. Even although I've been to Arran many times I still get a thrill when approaching Brodick (Arrans main town and where the ferry docks)and see Goatfell looming over Brodick Bay, it always seems to me that I am somehow "coming home"

I hope to go for a weekend soon I can feel it calling me as I've not been for a few months, and no I don't work for the Arran tourist board I just love Arran.

If you should ever visit make sure you go to Lochranza at the north end of the Island where if your visit is in the summer and it is a reasonable nice day you should see the Golden Eagles, what a sight.

Just writing about it makes me want to go I feel like heading off right now pity that's not possible, oh well hopefully I'll be there in a few weeks.

big bloke66 15:54 19 May 2007

Its got to be cornwall for me, such a different pace of life compared where i live in north kent.

I absolutly love the county.

bb66.

FungusBoggieman 15:56 19 May 2007

Any one of the marvalous fishing resoviors in my area.
to get away from the wife.
aahhh peice is bliss.
dont catch much tho.

Legolas 16:03 19 May 2007

I envy your love of fishing I could never get into it myself.

FungusBoggieman 16:06 19 May 2007

I fing it very calming and good for the stress levels, on a plus I have a very large resovior behind my home less than 1/4 of a mile away and the carp there are 20lb plus.
they make your arms ache abit.

Legolas 16:15 19 May 2007

I have stayed in Minehead once for a week very nice, and visited the villages round about.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 19 May 2007

Dartmouth Cove

Find it extremely relaxing even though there can be quite a number of people there.

The Lower Falls at Aysgarth are lovely especialy on a nice day out of season.

Legolas 16:25 19 May 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Just had a look at the falls very nice.

Legolas 16:30 19 May 2007

A few pics of Arran click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 19 May 2007

click here this is the site for you, pictures of Cornwall updated most days.

Legolas 16:57 19 May 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Great pics looks good pity its so far from me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?