Where next for the Digital Economy Act?

PC Advisor 16:43 19 May 2010

The Lib Dems want aspects of the Digital Economy Act repealed - click here

But David Cameron maintains that the act contains important measures - click here

What are your thoughts on the Digital Economy Act, and what should the coalition government do about it?

David Price 16:52 19 May 2010

Here's a poll on this topic, by the way

click here

octal 17:08 19 May 2010

I'm not sure what they could do about it at the moment, I think they have more high priority issues to sort out than the Digital Economy Act. The way those two are carrying on maybe they'll rename it the Digital Comedy Act.

Pineman100 19:22 19 May 2010

There are more pressing immediate problems, yes, but for the longer term commercial competitiveness of the UK in world markets, we can't just look at today and tomorrow - we have to think years ahead.

There can surely be few more important investments in the infrastructure of the country than its communications network. Not only will this ensure that the UK remains at the heart of world commerce, but effective high-speed communications will also help to reduce the need for travel by road and by air - both significant contributors to climate change.

morddwyd 20:22 19 May 2010

Not necessarily against the aims of the Digital Economy Act, but I am implacably opposed to any attempt by any government, to regulate, or otherwise influence, use of the internet.

octal 20:31 19 May 2010

While I agree with your first paragraph, what has the second paragraph got to do with illegal downloaders? Sorry if I've missed your point, it might be the way I read it.

Pineman100 17:46 20 May 2010

You're right - it has nothing to do with illegal downloaders. But the thread asks for our views on what the coalition Government should do about the Digital Economy Act. I believe, as I said above, that they should be putting their weight behind an urgent, root-and-branch upgrading of the whole national communications infrastructure.

In other words, the Digital Economy.

Illegal downloading is an important topic, but it's only a small part of the whole picture.

Þ² 18:59 20 May 2010

Repeal it, let the maret decide what's right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?